Sunday, April 01, 2007

Oh, No What Just Happened?

It was time to get up, wash, and brush my teeth. I made my way to the bathroom area and while I was brushing my teeth, I made a startling discovery. I looked in the mirror and saw that there were only a few strands of hair left on my head. This was the same for my eyebrows and upon closer examination, the rest of my body. I had no idea what was happening. My first thought was the new shampoo – had I just had a reaction to using this? I have used Head and Shoulders before and obviously nothing remotely close to this had happened. I thought further and maybe it was one of the gnats (which landed on me during the time I was running outside) which gave me this reaction. This didn’t make any sense since if I had a reaction, it would have been with hives, not having my hair fall out. I went back to my bunk and inspected my pillow and unbelievably there wasn’t any hair to be seen anywhere. Where did it all go? Could my hair have just disintegrated or vaporized? Does this mean it wouldn’t grow back?

I got ready for breakfast and decided to play off my bald head to my dorm mates to see if anyone noticed. Oh, they all noticed and I got some interesting comments – such as – “Now you look like one of us.” to “You look like a cancer patient but in a good way.” I tried to explain to my dorm mates what I thought had happened and all of them were equally puzzled. I certainly hope my hair does grow back because quite frankly, I am a very unattractive skinny bald man! I guess I will give it a few days to see if my hair starts growing back, and if it doesn’t then I will make an appointment with the doctor. I really don’t want to do this since this can delay my transfer to fire camp. On the other hand, if I have subjected myself to some kind of an allergic reaction, maybe something can be done to grow my hair back. I guess worse case scenario – I will remain bald. This should make for a very interesting reunion with my wife when she comes to visit me at fire camp hopefully within a month. Oh well, thankfully I have the Serenity Prayer and I know everything will be fine. I’m sure my resistance against the wind will be less as I run so at least I will become faster!







By the way, Happy April Fool’s Day to everyone! Did anyone actually believe I lost all of my hair? Hope you had a wonderful day! HA! HA!