Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day - 2006

Yes, last night I did eat the Salisbury Steak (oh my!) which should be called “Salisbury Soy”. The soy or meat (if you will) could not be tasted because it was drenched n mushroom sauce (probably by design). It was definitely soy in spite of the obvious attempt of masking its flavor with the mushroom gravy. I was full from dinner for the first time since the pizza and pasta night some 2 ½ months ago back at the reception center.

I have mentioned this before that I eat to live not live to eat but it is getting more difficult as my exercise increases to obtain the necessary calories not to fade away. I know I won’t fade away no matter what; however, I do want to sustain my energy over the course of the day. I do need to order more food from one of the catalogue companies because I cannot rely on prison food to carry me through the day with all the working out I seem to be doing. I have gone through one of the catalogues and believe it or not they seem to have food I can eat. The only way for me to “cook” something is through the hot pot with boiling water and the foods in this catalogue are only prepared this way. I have figured out a way to receive another package before December 31st (quarter cut-off) and I will be making this order very soon.

Speaking of working out today - it was a full workout day. Today represented our tier’s afternoon yard but I wanted to get out in the morning so I could take the training class while the “Coach” was present. I don’t want him to forget about me so the only way to not be pushy is to attend as many of the training classes as possible while he is present. This did not work out so well because Tuesday morning yard is mandatory for all inmates on that particular tier. It is mandatory because the C/O’s do inspection of the dorms and they need everyone out of the dormitory. Yes, we have inspections every other Tuesday. This means the dorm must be cleaned and the bunks must be made and tidy. There can be no lines of any type hanging from the bunks. Remember these are the “clotheslines” I need to dry my clothes which must be washed everyday. Also, there can be nothing under the bunk and nothing on top of the locker. We also must clean behind the lockers and underneath the bunk. Fortunately, everyone in my dormitory is conscientious and abides by these rules. Once the inspection is complete the clotheslines go back up and things are placed on the lockers then in two weeks the inspection process is repeated. Due to the inspection of the upper tier dorms, the C/O was unavailable to provide an “unlock” for me so I could make the training class. This came 10 minutes after the class started.

I was able to get outside but because I was 10 minutes late I did not want to disturb the training class. Instead of working out I started to jog just like I did on Sunday.

When I started jogging I had intentions of doing 8 miles but once I got to 8 miles I decided to proceed to 10 miles. Just like Sunday I did run 10 miles but a little slower because there were so many inmates on the yard (due to the mandatory kick out) I had to keep dodging people as I ran. Yes, there is a track which circles the yard but many inmates choose to walk, talk, and hang-out on the track. It did get frustrating especially by the “store” area which spills out onto the track. Today was the first day for “store” and many inmates were hanging out in this area mostly looking for hand outs from inmates coming back from the store. Incidentally, I will have to wait at least another week to attend the “store” because the money I had on my books at the reception center has not been transferred. This process can take up to 30 days. This is another one of the things I don’t understand because no matter what prison I came from it is still in the California Prison system. I guess it is a decentralized system as opposed to a centralized one, oh well.

It was very congested in this area as it was on many other parts of the track. As I was running I did see the “Coach” and he saw me. When I ran by him he gave me a smile and a nod of encouragement. At the very least he did recognize me (thankfully because after all I did speak with him only yesterday!). Also, as I was running I came in contact with an inmate I know and when I ran by him he asked me something. When I run I dislike stopping and talking especially when I reach the “zone”. I have been this way for a very long time and it is certainly not isolated in here. When this inmate asked me if he could ask me something, instinctively I said, “No” but when he said he needed help with something I went back toward him. I apologized and he asked me to help him out with something. This was a minor something and didn’t need to be done right then and there. I agreed and went back to my run. As it turns out he didn’t need my help because his minor dilemma worked itself out. I do need to be mindful of where I am at all times. This would seem simple because I live in this place every day however, when I really start exercising I do shut down my surroundings. Need to let a “little light” in and not be so rude or it will get me into trouble.

I finished the 10 mile run and I didn’t want to do anymore because I knew I was going to workout this afternoon. I went back into the dormitory to change my sweaty clothing. Thankfully, in my package I ordered enough workout gear so I could wash my morning workout attire and have something to wear in the afternoon. I washed my clothes during this period as a matter of necessity because I didn’t want it to pile up later. As I was washing a few dorm mates came over to me and asked how far I ran and I told them. I am not sure if they think I am some kind of exercise freak or what but they all seem to shake their heads in disbelief when I tell them how far I ran. One did tell me that I was his idol and he was somewhat serious. Whatever the case I don’t flaunt it and try to play off my exercising as much as possible.

During this break between workout sessions it would have been a perfect opportunity to enjoy a protein bar. I did not want a full lunch because I knew I was going to workout in the afternoon but I needed something. I had to settle for the mini pretzels we were given in our lunches which astonishingly did the trick and curbed my hunger. I think I was just very happy to have a pretzel even though it was a one once bag.

It was now time for afternoon yard and the training session. Unfortunately the “Coach” was not there, but the other instructors were present. The class felt a little more difficult than usual (maybe it was the 10 miles this morning?) but I did get through it. After the 30 minute class I still needed to do something else to kill time before my 3:00 pm telephone call. I decided to do one hour of the “step-ups” exercise. This is a good exercise because I can actually be civil to other people around me and continue the exercise without stopping. I did converse while doing this exercise with a few inmates I know. As I was talking to them I could see the looks in their eyes toward me as I was sweating all over the place. Again, I am sure the word “freak” could be used but as we talked, one of the inmates (whom I know) mentioned he word “idol”. This was the second time today someone mentioned this word. I have no idea how much credence I can put in this word but I am doing what comes naturally and hopefully with my words of encouragement some of my freakiness will rub off. Of course I could get a big head from these comments but hopefully this won’t happen and I will remain grounded.

I finished my workout in time for my 3:00 pm telephone call. I attempted to call my wife but there was no answer on her cell phone or home telephone. I then tried to reach my mother but again no answer. So I tried to reach my younger sister and I did connect with her. Unfortunately, I used half of my 15 minutes trying to reach my wife and mother. I had little time to speak with my sister. In this brief conversation it was great to hear her voice. She always sounds so upbeat and positive. We didn’t talk about much but she did tell me about the Los Angeles Times article which appeared last week. I wasn’t sure if this article was actually going to get published because I thought my news cycle had ended almost four months ago. According to my sister my mother sent me a copy which I haven’t received yet. It will be interesting to read this story because the reporter who wrote this spent a great deal of time with my wife and me. I am sure many of you have already read the article and I am interested in what everyone thought.

The brief telephone call with my sister ended so fast but we did have a chance to say our goodbyes and that we loved and missed each other. It was great speaking with her because my telephone calls to her will be few and far between (due to the difficulty of placing telephone calls) for the next few months so every conversation is precious.

I finished the telephone call and it was just about time to head inside. There was still 45 minutes left of yard time and 30 minutes until the unlock. As I stood outside the dormitory and basked in the sun (the temperature hit 78 degrees today but felt much warmer in the bright sunshine). I thought about today being Election Day and how for the first time since I became of age (18) to vote that I didn’t cast a vote. The past few years my wife and I would go to the polling place together and perform our civic duty. I always had pride in this day and I won’t go into a political discussion but I will say I was always proud to be an American on Election Day. However, due to my indiscretions I lost my right to vote. Yet another one of the many consequences I brought onto myself. I never thought I would actually become ineligible to vote but now I have. I believe my lost right is only temporary at least in California because once I complete my parole term of 13 months I will regain this privilege. Voting to me is not a right but a privilege, I never realized this until today because I lost that privilege and if I keep working my recovery I can regain this. Finally I do have my fingers crossed for a very dear friend who is running for office today, I do wish him the very best.

No comments: