Friday, November 03, 2006

Two Sides Of The Day

My day started at 5:15 am because I had a hard time thinking about two different things which happened yesterday. First, I was thinking about my heart and whether or not it would be possible that I do have a problem. Also, I wanted to make sure I was dressed and ready to leave the dorm for my 7:00 am blood test. The doctor was kind enough to schedule this fasting blood test before breakfast and I didn’t want to be late. I know there is nothing I can do about all the procedures I will be given in the next few weeks nor should I obsess about my heart. I do think about it and find it difficult to believe that I would have a problem considering my healthy eating habits and exercise regimen. The answer to the question will hopefully be found in the next few weeks.

Secondly, I was thinking about a letter I received yesterday which wasn’t negative or disparaging. It did talk about something I did a few years ago which was very bad; however, I am having difficulty understanding the specifics of this particular wrongdoing. For the life of me, I cannot understand the timing of this act. I very well may have repressed this so much into my subconscious that my conscious mind just does not remember. This may not make my transgression right but it may well prove how bad my gambling addiction had become. Hopefully, I will receive some concrete evidence and I can put this issue to rest but until that time my life will continue in the positive manner that it has in the past 20 months.

I got out of bed and got dressed so early because I read the clock wrong. The only clock I have access to is the yard clock which resides 150 yards across from where I am. I thought it said 6:15 when in reality it was 5:15 am. I realized how early it was when I sat down to watch the morning news and the on screen clock read 5:30. When I saw this, I just chuckled and I certainly was not going to go back and lie down in the bunk. I just watched the morning news until 6:45 when I received the unlock to go to the medical for my blood teat. Much to my amazement, I was in and out of the medical building in 10 minutes. Luckily, I was the first appointment for the nurse who took my blood. I was hoping to receive the chest x-ray at the same time; however, the technician wasn’t going to arrive until 9:00. Certainly I was not going to wait two hours so I went back to the dormitory and joined my dorm mates for breakfast.

After breakfast I read a little more of the book and waited for the 8:45 am unlock which came at 9:15 – so much for making my 9:00 appointment on time. Yet another thing completely out of my control. I made my way back over to the medical building and checked in for my x-ray. I must say for a person who wanted nothing to do with the medical offices of the CDC, I am getting to know it quite well. Again, I was taken right away and the x-ray technician was very polite and professional. He had to do two sets of the x-rays because he made a mistake with the first set. Unfortunately, the doctor was not available so I will have to wait until next week for him to read the films and receive the results from the blood test.

I was in and out of the x-ray room in about 30 minutes and I returned to the yard. It was not my tier’s yard time but the fact that I was outside meant I could stay there until the morning yard was over. I thought this might be a great time to see if I could retrieve my package yet again. I stood in line with 15 other inmates – some of who have been waiting a month (Geez!) to receive their package. However, based on discussions with some of them, there appears to be some extenuating circumstances working and the hours of their job are not conducive to retrieving their packages. Also, there was a lockdown – where no one goes anywhere for a specified period of time which can last up to one month – a few weeks before I arrived and this delayed picking up their packages as well. I waited an hour and a half only to watch 15 inmates from the other level 1-yard retrieve their packages, but all of us who were in line were shut out. It is going to take longer to
Get the package than it took to get here. I do hope it takes a less than a month and it looks like my best chance should be on Sunday. On the weekends, the retrieval of the packages takes precedence over any other duties in this area.

Having been denied access to my package once again, I headed back to the dorm to change out of my blues into my workout attire. This afternoon is the test for the instructor position and I had an hour to relax back at the dorm and took a 15-minute nap. I also took my first multi-vitamin in over 3 ½ months. It will be interesting to see how much of a difference these vitamins make and I do believe there is definitely a psychological benefit and hopefully a physiological benefit as well.

Now it was time for afternoon yard and the test for the instructor position. The afternoon was overcast – which is very unusual – and there was a storm approaching from the west. Even though it was overcast, the weather was perfect for the test with the temperature in the low 60’s. Physically and mentally I was ready. I hadn’t felt this way the two previous times which I thought might be a good sign now. The test starts off with warm ups and stretching. After this is completed, we are required to run one mile in 9 minutes or less. The two previous times, I stayed with one of the instructors who paces at this time. I felt the pace was too slow but I understood the need to conserve my energy in order to complete the rest of the test. Today I ran at my own pace and finished the mile in 7 minutes without really pressing myself.

When everyone finished the mile we started the rest of the test. There was only one other person taking the test with me. The other inmates were just participating in the regular Friday class which consists of all the components of the test. After everyone finished their run we were required to do 40 burpees – squat thrusts followed by 30 pushups, followed by 40 sit-ups, 10 jumping jacks, and 20 mountain climbers. Then it started another rotation of 35 burpees, 35 push-ups, 35 sit-ups, 10 jumping jacks, and 80 mountain climbers. In order to pass the test I had to complete each and every reception without missing any and my form had to be perfect. Last week I didn’t miss any repetitions but my form wasn’t very good on the mountain climbers.

This time I didn’t miss any repetitions and my form was perfect on the mountain climbers which means I passed the test! I am now on the wait list with one other inmate to become a Physical Firefighting Instructor. There are others leaving in the next few weeks which means I will have a job. I do need to speak with the “coach” regarding the particulars about the position. Hey, this is not too bad for someone with a defective heart!

I have thought of one of the stipulations of accepting the position which is giving the coach a four month commitment. I will feel him out and see if he is demanding the commitment or not. If he is I will give it to him because it appears I will be here at the very least another three months. What is another month when I go in on a Monday through Friday job with the perks of working out and I get to pick the fire camp of my choice which will be Bautista in Hemet, Ca? This will give me a very serious routine and I expect the days would fly by because I would be very busy doing something physical and something I enjoy.

It would be ironic if I were not allowed to go to a fire camp because of my EKG read-out, yet I would be allowed to be an instructor. This position is very physically demanding and all the instructors are in good shape. I am already in good shape only to be able to get into better shape when I start the position. As an aside, my chest does not bother me when I am running or doing calisthenics. I can only feel a little twinge when I lay down otherwise it feels fine. I am sure there is a god explanation for this which all the medical tests should resolve.

This morning started in the medical building and ended with me becoming an Instructor. There were two distinct sides of my day which don’t seem to fit together. Maybe there is something I am missing (I hope not) but whatever the case I will continue exercising as long as there isn’t any pain. I am old enough to know my body very well and so far so good.

I was very happy to pass the test for the Instructor because it was a goal of mine when I took it for the first time and failed. It felt very good to accomplish this in a short period of time. This proves to me that when I set my mind to do something I do accomplish that something. Thankfully, my focus is now on a positive note and I do like the results.

No comments: