Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Two Months / Bird Bath (Update)

Please refer to the ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today marks another milestone – two months ago I received my sentence from the judge. I can still remember that entire day as if it was yesterday. It marked the last time I woke up next to my wife and it also marked the last time I woke up on a mattress and box spring. It certainly does seem like yesterday when the judge said, “Four Years”. I can continue playing this day over and over in my head but it will do me no good.

The best part about this day two months ago, it marked the end of the waiting and the countless delays. I started seeing my sentence on this day two months ago. I would like to report that I only have 22 months left before I am eligible for parole. However, I am waiting confirmation as to what my minimum release date will be. I think it is somewhere in July 2008, but the prison has an intricate mathematical formula. I will wait for the information and report back. Two months ago was the “third worst day” of my mother’s life. The first one was when I told her about my horrible actions. I cannot undue what happened, I can only concentrate on the positive aspects of my recovery. What I did was completely wrong and I am rightfully suffering the consequences. The very sad fact is my wife and children have severely suffered consequences as well.

I am happy to report my children are doing well in their new environment and have had a wonderful summer with their family. Everything appears to be working out in their new schools. Also, I was told NOT to worry about my children because there are enough helping hand and they are very well taken care of.

Working in the kitchen today was not as frantic as yesterday. I was assigned to the ovens and today marked the first day without Taz the Trainer. He and 7 others were transferred. Taz and some of the other inmates were facing a very long uncomfortable bus trip of 10 hours to their next destination. I am hoping for this bus ride because it is to one of the Fire camps, but I certainly do not look forward to spending 10 hours on a bus in shackles and chains.

I was happy to be assigned to the ovens and without Taz, the atmosphere was noticeably different. It was more laid back and there wasn’t anyone running around like a crazy person. The menu was very easy with all of the hot entrees being prepared in the oven. We had more than enough help and were finished before 9:00 am. Unfortunately, the CO’s weren’t ready for us so we didn’t arrive back at the dorm until 6:30. When I arrived back at the dorm, I was told the showers were on hold until the afternoon because they painted the entrance with a non-slip paint. This little mundane piece of information postponed my normal program. Usually, as soon as I arrive back at the dorm, I start my workout. I didn’t want to stand around all sweaty until 2:00 when the showers were to be opened. After waiting an hour, I couldn’t wait any longer so I started my wokout which lasted almost to 1:00 pm. I stood around until 2:00 only to find that paint was still not dry and wouldn’t be until dinner time.

Now I was faced with a dilemma because I needed to clean myself. The CO mentioned “birdbaths” were acceptable. It didn’t take me long to figure out what that consisted of. Just like a bird taking a bath~ I was given lessons on the proper way to do this. Standing near the toilets where there are two drains, I got a bucket and cup. I filled the bucket up with warm water from the utility closet. Took the bucket over to where the toilets are located. Then I took the cup, dipped it into the bucket, and poured water over my head and body.

Improvisation goes a long way here and we all had to improvise. Truth be told, the water was warm which felt so much better than the normal showers which are icy cold. By the way, I found out why the showers are so cold. Back in July, it was 120 degrees and since no one wanted to take a hot shower back then, the CO’s turned off the hot water. Now the weather has changed, so it might be time to turn the hot water back on?

It appears the mail is coming in much quicker. I received 5 pieces of mail today within 5 to 7 days of the postmark. All the pieces had my proper address:
Paul Del Vacchio #F38991 A-Gym 69 L
North Kern State Prison
PO Box 5000 Delano 93216-5000
I guess having the previous address caused the delay but everything seems to be coming in quicker now. My letters seem to be arriving much quicker, also.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I received a disturbing piece of mail today questioning my reasons for posting my blog. My postings have offended someone and it was also stated they might endanger my family now and in the future. It was also stated that I should continue to write my journals but not post them. The writings have helped my recovery tremendously and it may have been arrogant of me to think I could help others. I did want to share my story with others in order to give back especially to the GA Program and maybe this was self-serving. I certainly don’t want to offend anyone so I may stop posting my blogs. One of the reasons that I really don’t want to stop is because I have received so much positive feedback. In fact, today was the first time in 13 months that I received anything negative regarding the blog.

I do understand the postings in early August were a bit frightening but this was how I was feeling. Maybe I should have used more digression with these posts. I am very confused as to which way to turn. Any feedback would be helpful. Please let me know if this is only a self-serving, self-centered blog. If it is, I will stop posting. Thank you~

(His mother here~ I didn't want to do this, but I have to. I have received several e-mails regarding Paul's safety and the fear of who this person might be. This was not written by someone anonymous, nor an inmate's friend, not a guard, not a right winged nut, not someone to fear.
I don't want to divulge this name through the blog, but it is someone whom we know who has serious personal issues and is by no means a threat to Paul or his family.)

I will close on a lighter note. On the menu this morning, was an item called cornmeal mush. Some of you out there maybe familiar with this bit I found it quite funny that an actual item served for breakfast is called “mush”. This is another one of the hot cereal items, and when it comes out of the oven it is anything but mush. It looks just like cornbread, but it is then placed into a large pot and mixed with water. That’s when it turns to mush. My diet is one where mush is acceptable. However, today I enjoyed one of the perks of working in the kitchen. I was able to eat the cornmeal before adding the water. As you can tell, I am making the most of my time in the kitchen.

No comments: