Saturday, September 09, 2006

Writing about Writing

What I was told yesterday about not having to work as “The Table Wipe Guy” ever again - was true (whew!). I was back on the ovens. As it turns out, the trainer Taz (remember him?) is being transferred out of here on Tuesday. This means it will be my turn to run the ovens on Tuesday without him. Tomorrow will mark my solo day with Taz standing by. I hope I don’t screw up – actually the only way to screw up is to burn the food and hopefully this won’t happen.

Today I was in the back putting in the cracked wheat which is very much like oatmeal. There are four hot cereals that are prepared – oatmeal, farina, cracked wheat, and grits. Essentially, these are all pretty much the same, just the color changes slightly. I had never heard of cracked wheat before, but it tastes fine when I add the peanut butter and bananas. The other item on the menu was French Toast – Aunt Jemina pre-packaged. This appears to be new on the menu which cooks in less than 10 minutes and can burn very quickly. In fact, a few pieces did burn, but no one got in trouble.

My days are now routine and it may seem monotonous to some folks, but I will take this monotony over staying in my bunk all day and watching the clock. Yesterday marked four weeks since I arrived here at the reception center and these past two weeks have gone by quickly mainly due to working in the kitchen. After work, I did my usual exercises and then took a shower. I need to vent a little regarding the lack of hot water. Last night, the weather changed and became cold. I almost broke out the big blanket, but it was time to wake up from work. While walking outside, it was rather chilly. I am not sure what the temperature was, but it was much colder than it has ever been. This is a good sign but due to the non-existence of hot water, it makes showering very uncomfortable. When it was hot and I was sweaty, I didn’t mind the cold shower too much. But now that’s it’s cooler, the water needs to be hotter! My showers are very fast and I look forward to the day when I can take a long, hot one without 6 or 7 guys standing nearby. As you can see, the cold shower is getting very old quickly. It’s interesting because there is a utility closet with a sink for cleaning. Yesterday, I used it to clean my pants (working in the kitchen constantly makes clothes dirty). The hot water came out very hot so I don’t know why the showers are so cold. No sense in complaining because I have been told many others have tried and got nowhere. This is just another “issue “ in the many issues of my situation.

I have written about the overcrowding and now it appears the counselors are working weekends to keep up with the demand. I don’t know if these employees are hourly or on salary, but they were here today in full force. I didn’t see my counselor yet which I kind of expected. Hopefully, I won’t because one of those inmates who have been here 3 months or more haven’t seen one either. This is a big system and invariably mistakes are made. I just hope and pray I am not one of those mistakes.

Another interesting facet regarding the overcrowding is how the correction officers work numerous double shifts. Apparently, there aren’t enough CO’s to cover all the inmates so they have to overtime. I am sure most don’t mind because they are making six figures wages but somewhere along the line working 16 hours a day two or three times a week has got to take its toll.

After taking my shower, I needed to write some letters. I made a vow to write anyone who sends me a letter and I intend to keep this promise even if it means a permanent indentation in my finger along with writer’s cramp. I have so many wonderful friends and I do enjoy corresponding with them. It also makes my day go faster.
Yes, I do realize now I am writing about writing but this blog is essential to my recovery and sanity especially in a place like this. I am so happy to write my family, friends, and this blog because it is saving my life. A return to sanity is the key ingredient in my recovery and I will use any and all tools necessary to maintain this sanity.

Last night the “list” was posted for those who were going to be transferred this week. It contained 17 names which was one of the largest lists in quite sometime. I was trying to figure out whether there is some kind of rationale as to where certain inmates are sent. It appears there isn’t one as appears to the naked eye. Hopefully, deep within the California Department of Corrections lies a formula, but it remains a deep, dark secret. It seems the counselor’s recommendations as to where the inmate goes has no bearing on the transfer. After speaking with 10 inmates who are being transferred this week, only one was sent to a place recommended by the counselor. It appears to be a random draw and it all depends on where there is room.

Of course, my main goal is a Fire Camp, but my optimism about actually going to one is waning. If it happens, fine, and if it doesn’t, then that is fine as well. I just hope I am in a Level 1 facility which is minimum security. I just want to move to the next destination so I can speak with my wife. It has been almost one month since I heard her voice and I know it will be at the very least, one more month before I can speak with her. I have no choice but to be patient.

I need to send a huge THANK YOU to my dear friend, Jane. She was part of our GA group but moved out of the area. I have received at least one letter per week from her and in a letter I received yesterday was a handwritten copy of the GA Combo Book. Yes, that is right – HANDWRITTEN – by Jane – all 17 pages. She is a dear, dear friend and even though I have only known her a short period of time, I am blessed to call her my friend. I was genuinely touched by this incredible gift. There are remarkable people in this world and I am grateful to be surrounded by many of them. Thank you so very much! You are a kind, giving, and caring woman.

This afternoon, as I was writing my letters to my very special friends, a huge smile came across my face. I am truly blessed by the outpouring of support and love. I owe all this to the GA program because without it, there would be no support or love in my life, I would be all alone. Even though I am on my own in this horrible place, I really am not alone. I thank God each and everyday for all of the wonderful gifts in my life, especially my family and friends.

It is unfortunate that so many other inmates have no one and they are destined to keep recycling through the system. I am blessed because I have so many people who care about me which makes me feel great. I will get through this situation and I will try my hardest never to lose focus of the great aspects of my life which are my family and friends.

No comments: