Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Drug

It appears that maybe there is an actual drug to help curb the "appetite" of a compulsive gambler. Here is a link to one story in Louisiana (I have written this before but Louisiana is light years ahead of the rest of the country when it comes to dealing with compulsive gamblers, which always amazes me.) where they are testing a drug that could help compulsive gamblers with their urges. This article refers to a drug marketed by a San Diego drug company which hopes to help compulsive gamblers with their urges. I am not sure if it is the same drug as the one in the Louisiana study but it appears progress is being made.

Here is another story from England and please remember to double the value of the amount stolen to understand how much it was in United States dollars. I like two of the quotes from the Detective regarding the defendants gambling behavior; “I got the impression that it was the gambling rather than the horses that he liked," and “A lot of it went on horse racing, and it appears he was not very successful.” The detective didn't know it at the time but with this first quote he was summing up the mind of a compulsive gambler. It doesn't matter how much money because in a compulsive gambler's mind (which is me) it is about the action which leads to the escape. The money just provides ammunition which will always lead to pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization.

I was reading about responsible gambling and there is an organization dedicated to this principle. You can read more about them here, this is not to be confused with the responsible gambling company based out of Las Vegas. I have read their materials and they are not on the same page as the not for profit company which is based out of Canada. On their website they were referring to a term called "harm reduction" which tries to reduce the harm a compulsive gambler may cause by limiting their wagers. This goes against the Gamblers Anonymous concept of abstinence.

When some people come into Gamblers Anonymous it is so very difficult for them to stay away from gambling. If you have been doing something all your life which maybe 20. 30, 40 or 50 years and some one tells you that you can NEVER do it again you may rebel. With this rebellion comes worse damage caused by the gambling because it is a progressive addiction. In harm reduction this weans the person off "heavy" gambling and tries to teach them the compulsive gambler to gamble within their means.

This concept sounds good but to me because I have tried many ways to stop gambling the Gamblers Anonymous concept of abstinence must be a part of my life. I know the harm that gambling has caused me and the only way to minimize this harm is to not gamble again. Some people struggle their whole life with this concept but I believe if you look honestly into yourself and see the destruction gambling has caused you will want to stop. There is a difference to need and want; you may need to stop but that doesn't mean you will stop gambling because deep down you don't WANT to stop. You have to want it to work and I certainly want it and will continue my recovery one step at a time.

No comments: