Monday, October 03, 2005

Interpretation

I ran across this article today and yes, I continue to receive information on embezzlement cases and compulsive gambling. Although there is no mention of compulsive gambling in this case I find what the judge had to say fascinating. Not that I agree what he said but I have never seen a judge say this in any embezzlement case I have read. I guess it was his interpretation of the facts; here is the story from Lawrence, Kansas:

Kruse sentenced for embezzlement

Monday, October 3, 2005
The former head of Lawrence's teachers union will not spend time behind bars for embezzling nearly $100,000 in union dues.
A judge this morning denied prosecutors request to send Wayne A. Kruse to prison for 11 months and instead ordered him to two years probation.
District Court Judge Jack Murphy criticized the Lawrence Education Assn. as he handed down the sentence, saying he was amazed at how easy it was for Kruse to steal the money.
Kruse pleaded guilty to one count of felony theft and one count of forgery.
Because he has no previous criminal record, the crimes call for probation under Kansas sentencing guidelines. But a prosecutor sought to put Kruse in prison under a law that allows a stiffer sentence for crimes involving a breach of financial trust.
Kruse spoke briefly at the hearing, saying he felt like Prof. Harold Hill, the scamming traveling salesman in the play The Music Man. He apologized to teachers, students and the union.

The story doesn't mention restitution but he does have to repay all the money he took. Also, the Teachers Union tried to resolve this case internally but the defendant did not cooperate so the Teacher Union had no choice but to go to the police. They still don't know why he stole the money. Usually these stories point out a gambling problem or items which were purchased with the stolen money but I did not find anything in regards to these matters.

Here is a story which relates to gambling and compulsive gambling. The author points out the irony in gambling. This story brings to mind the irony in which my life has been lived. I make a great living working in the same industry which destroyed my life. How could I be so stupid not to see what I was doing to myself and my family? I have learned in the past seven months that I was not being stupid I have a disease.

Some may scoff at this point but I dare anyone affected by an addiction to look deep into the soul of that person and not tell me they are a good person deep down. What they did or more specifically what I did was caused inabilityiltity to recognize I have a problem. (I like to use the present tense when I speak about my gambling addiction because no matter how old I get or how long it has been since my last bet I will ALWAYS have a gambling problem.)

I am by no means stupid nor are the fellow compulsive gamblers I have come in contact with over the past seven months. In fact, when I was in the Gaming Industry I came across other compulsive gamblers but they were in denial just like me and they were not stupid people at all. Yes, some of the things I have done can be construed as stupid, careless and reckless; however; these were all caused by my compulsive gambling addiction.

The critical aspect of my recovery is honestly looking inside and ensuring I continue the help necessary in my recovery and most importantly not succumb to the lure that gambling will help solve my financial issues. It is not a financial issue it is a mental issue and I escaped into a world where there was no demands; I didn't have to be a husband, father and boss. I lived in a fantasy and this fantasy has been placed in its proper prospective which is in the trash. Life is good being a husband and father and I know in due time I will regain the respect I have I lost from just about everyone but this has to be done one day at a time.

No comments: