Saturday, October 22, 2005

Typical Saturday

Yes, today is another celebratory October day and I would like to wish my sister Denise a very happy birthday. Today is her ? birthday; I won't put the number because we had an episode a few years ago regarding her age which I don't want to repeat. I hope you had a great day, Happy Birthday Older Sister and Aunt Denise we love you very much!!

Today was a very full day. It started out like any other Saturday in the last 8 months by attending the Gamblers Anonymous meeting. Over the last 8 months I have seen this meeting grow. It is good and bad to see so many people turning out for the Gamblers Anonymous meeting. It is bad to see so many people who have problem with gambling but it is so good to see people are doing something to address their problem. To quote my father; "I have more respect for the people who attend the Gamblers Anonymous meeting than those that do not". My father had said this a few months ago after attending a Gam-Anon and Gamblers Anonymous joint birthday meeting. It was so nice to hear him say this because everyone in these rooms is NOT a loser. Each of us may have had tremendous difficulties with our gambling but we are trying to do something about it. Everyone should be commended for their efforts.

I had to leave at the break at the Gamblers Anonymous meeting because my daughter was having a special Brownie ceremony. This is her second year in Brownies and the troupe was welcoming the new members and also re-confirming the returning members. I did attend this ceremony last year and really seams like it was 10 years ago because my recollection of the ceremony is very distant. I did remember meeting one person who now has become a very supportive person in my life but I don't remember much else. I may have been there physically last year but certainly not mentally.

I used to take pride in my "showing up" but that was all just a front. Now I not only "show up" but I participate and my life is so much better. The ceremony was very nice and the girls and the troupe leaders did a fantastic job. My daughter likes to be a Brownie because she gets to sell cookies and her Mom is the "Cookie Mom". Those were the words of my daughter and I don't need to rehash the Girl Scout Cookie saga but it was great to hear my daughter saying those words.

After the Brownie ceremony we went to a birthday party for two of our neighbor's children at a local "jumping" play place. The place had all air type games; such as a giant inflatable slide, an inflatable maze, inflatable joust and boxing ring and other assorted inflatable games. Both of our children had a good time and I not only "showed up" but I participated. If this was a year ago chances are I wouldn't have gone to the party because I would have been looking for a way to place my bets and watch the football games. Oh how short sided I truly was.

Who cares if Arizona State covers; it only meant I had that much more to play the next day. It was a never ending cycle. Tomorrow was always another day but you know what tomorrow never came and it still hasn't! I finally understand today is the most important day because this is all I have. Some day all of those parties and ceremonies will be a thing of the past and I will sit and wonder where has it all gone. Thank God I was woken up 8 months ago and I am choosing to participate in life and not be a by-stander.

No comments: