Sunday, October 16, 2005

Local Breast Cancer Race for the Cure

Today the family was up very early for a Sunday morning because we were participating in the local Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Race for the Cure. We have participated in this event four of the last five years; last year we did sign up for the race but it was raining when we got up and decided not to attend. In the previous years my former employer donated the money for all of the participants and all we needed to do was show up. There was an exception; three years ago I did not turn in the entry form on time and I had to give the donation if we wanted to participate. We did want to participate and the family along with our good friends walked in the 5K race. This year even though our financial situation has changed dramatically we decided to set some money aside to participate in this worthy cause. We really enjoy the race and the festivities held pre and post race, we usually have a good time and today was no exception.

The day started off beautiful with a clear blue sky, temperature around 57 degrees, it was really a perfect day for a 5k run. The participation in the race has grown tremendously over the past 5 years in which we have participated and today was the biggest turnout we have ever seen. Since the turnout was so large the race was organized in stages. The runners went off at 8:15 am and the walkers went off at 9:00 am. This provided me the opportunity to walk the entire race with my family. In the previous years I was able to run the entire race and then circle back to find my family usually around the half way point. This year I ran the race and my time was okay for someone who has a bad leg but it was not where I wanted it to be; however; this race was to raise money for breast cancer treatment and awareness and being able to participate is all that I needed.

When I finished the race I met up with my family and our dear friends to start the walking portion of the race. As we started this portion of the race we noticed the sky getting darker and darker. Also the temperature was getting a little colder as well. About half way through the 3.1 mile race it started to rain which the children certainly didn't mind and made the best of the situation. We were able to finish about 80% of the race before the rain got too heavy and decided to call it a day. All in all it was a very good day for a great cause. Next year is a long way away and I would certainly like to participate but I know I can only take it one day at a time and as long as I am going in the "right" direction there will be many more of these worthy races in my future.

Everyone was very wet and tired after the race so we decided to go home and take it easy. It was one of those cold dreary rainy days where you really don't feel like doing a whole lot of anything and being in Southern California we don't get many of these days so we decided to just relax in the afternoon. In the evening we had dinner at some very new dear friends' house who have been extremely supportive during this entire ordeal. We had a very good time and my son showed them what to expect of their about to be born son in about 4 1/2 years.

My son was a little crazy to say the least but he was not destructive which is always a good thing. He displayed the difference between boys and girls at dinner and after dinner. My wonderful daughter ate her dinner very quietly and after dinner went and watched a movie also very quietly. Whereas my son was (let's say) not so quiet at dinner and after dinner but again not destructive. Four year old boys have so much energy and it is so hard to contain this energy for a period of time and he displayed this energy.

Our friends were very understanding and we were not embarrassed by my son's actions he was just being a four year old boy. I certainly cannot get mad at my son for these types of actions as long as he is not endangering himself or others and is not getting totally out of hand; I have no problem letting him be himself. He really is amazing and sometimes quite funny. It is these little moments that I will always cherish. My son is just a boy and he really is a good kid, my wife and I are very proud of him as well as very proud of our daughter. These are blessings that no one can take away from me and I am so very fortunate to have these blessings in my life. They are great children and I love them so very much.

No comments: