Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Strange Ways

October is the month in our family of many birthdays and anniversaries today is no exceptional. A very happy birthday to baby Emily who turned one today, I hope she had a great day. Also; today my grandmother had triple by-pass surgery and she seems to be doing well. It is amazing how life works. I wrote about her falling down and or getting hit by a car last week well as it turns out this was a BLESSING. The doctors did a battery of test and found three of her arteries were severely clogged thus prompting the triple by-pass. If she doesn't fall down and/or get hit by the car the clogged arteries go undetected and would have suffered a massive heart attack. God works in strange ways but in any adversity God provides relief. Thank God my Grandmother is going to be okay. She still has rehabilitation but her prognosis looks good.

Today was the business meeting of Gamblers Anonymous and I made the hour drive down to the meeting as the representative from our region. The meeting went well which was chaired admirably by my sponsor. We were talking about how successful the conference went and yes, it did go well. Like I wrote a few days ago I was very blessed to be a part of this conference. One year ago I would not have envisioned going to a Gamblers Anonymous conference but now I am so grateful to be part of this magnificent organization (see God sure does work in some strange ways!!) another blessing in my life. In fact my life is filled with so many blessings which carries me each and every day.

Getting back to the business meeting of GA this evening. It is amazing how much people really want to help other people because each person in that room this evening gave up some part of their life to give back to the fellowship. Good people do good things and sometimes good people do bad things but to turn around a bad life into a good one takes courage and determination. Each person in that room this evening has down more good in their lives and continues to do so each and every day.

As I was driving home I was listening to talk radio. I used to listen to sports radio to find an "edge" but I have no use for this anymore so I have turned my attention to the political stations. I give equal time to the "right" and "left" but lately my tendencies have turned more left and this particular radio program was from the Democrat point of view and the segment was called "why are you bitter?". Each person called in an aired their bitterness and some of these were way out there and some were very personal. I got to thinking that I am not bitter about my current situation because so much good has come from this bad situation it really is incredible. (Again God working in his strange way!) I continue to learn each and every day how blessed I am and how much more there is to life.

Why would I be bitter? To me bitterness is pointless and would not help any situation. I can see being upset or perturbed by an issue be it personal or political but then you must do something about it. By not doing anything about the issue will stew and eat away at the person. I am doing everything in my power to deal with my addiction/disease and I am forever grateful for that faithful day seven and half months ago. Without FINALLY being confronted I would have continued to live in denial and I would have become a shell of a person. Now I am becoming a person with a purpose and I do realize how lucky I am. Life really is good and no matter what happens in the future I know everything will work out.

No comments: