Sunday, June 25, 2006

Day Two of our Adventure

Today marked day two of our family adventure across the United States. Yesterday we finally embarked on our journey from Southern California to New Jersey. Today was a day of relaxing with some great dear friends. This morning I had the pleasure of playing golf with a very good long time friend at a place we used to play regularly when I used to live here in Las Vegas. It was a typical summer day in the desert with the temperature reaching a "balmy" 105 degrees with 8% humidity.

Yes, we played golf in this type of weather which wasn't anything out of the normal for us. We have played in hotter conditions before but this was the first time in a long time for me playing in these conditions. I moved out of Las Vegas almost five years ago because of a great career opportunity. We all know what I did with that great career opportunity but through all of my turmoil I have maintained some great friends and today I was able to spend most of the day with one of these great friends. Even though my friend had just arrived from Hawaii early this morning he still wanted to play golf with me. This maybe the last time in a long time that I will be available for gold so I was very grateful to have this opportunity.

My friend is a much better golfer than me and it has been the rare occasion where my score has been better than his score and today was one of those days. I believe it was the combination of the early arrival from Hawaii and the heat which greatly affected my friend but through it all my friend toughed it out and made the full 18 holes; thank you so very much for an enjoyable round of golf. It was enjoyable because I got to spend a few hours with someone I consider a true friend; it wasn't the golf or the golf course and it certainly wasn't the heat it was the camaraderie which I will be forever grateful. I did shoot my best round at this course even though I somewhat melted on the final few holes and yes, it was a great day.

The great day continued when I went back to where we were staying which is another dear friends' house. I was able to jump in their swimming pool with my children for a few hours before going back over my friend's (whom I played golf with earlier) house for a great dinner barbecue and some more swimming. We had a lovely afternoon and evening; the children had fun; they swam; played on a water slide and ate some wonderful food. This was a fabulous way to spend a Sunday.

We returned home to our friends' house and when we got home our friends were not home. My wife put the key in the door and as we entered the house their home alarm went off. I did not know how to deactivate the alarm so it blared for ten minutes. My children especially my daughter is very sensitive to loud sounds. She started crying because she was very scared. I took both of my children outside because the sound was muffled by the house. However; my son got so nervous from the alarm he threw up on the walkway outside of our friends' house. He is fine and it was his nerves from the alarm. Finally the alarm stopped and we entered the house once again.

We finally got the children settled and was ready to give my daughter a shower when the alarm started all of again. Apparently my wife went out the back door and set of the alarm. We had to go through the fear and trauma cycle once again but than God the alarm only lasted 3 minutes. Then our friends came home and all was once again great with my children.

I have great kids and they are so very sensitive to outside influences which is why it is so hard to let them go. My children had nothing to do with what I will be sentenced for next month which is why it is so important I really be with them for as long as I have the time because I won't have this time in the coming months.

Tomorrow will be a very interesting day because it will be our longest driving day of the entire trip. We would like to make it to my sister's house in Denver for tomorrow night where we will stay a few days as our second stop on our trip. So far it feels so very good; the only regret I have is not being able to make GA meeting here in Las Vegas. My life has lost its balance which I am trying to regain with the help of Gamblers Anonymous Program.

I wanted to spend a great deal of time with my family and friends which is why it was unfortunate I could not make today's meeting. I have checked the schedule and I know I am attending a GA meeting in New Jersey next Sunday followed by one more GA meeting that particular week. I know I will find that balance my life has lacked for so long now but I know I am on the right path to recovery.

No comments: