Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Five Months in SCC

I felt a bit trapped as I walked into the coach’s office carrying the test booklets. He was accompanied by a CO form the yard and the two of them were discussing various recreational activities. The two of them discussed these at length while I waited for the coach to dismiss me. I had to interrupt the discussion since the coach seemed to forget about me. I did speak up and was finally allowed to leave. I waited for an unlock to get out of the gym which is where the coach’s office is located. This gymnasium houses 300 inmates and the coach’s office is on the second level. I looked out across the bunks and only noticed one unoccupied bunk. This meant 299 inmates live inside this gym! Cruel and Unusual – very possible? Most if not all of them are on some type of medication which makes them ineligible for fire camp. These inmates can serve their entire term being housed in the gym. I never get a good feeling when I enter this area and can’t wait to get out.

After the unlock, I headed straight over to the telephones to call my mother. I was reserving this time to call my wife but since I called her Sunday night, I used this time to call my mother utilizing the Bail Bond Company since it has been 2 weeks since I last spoke with her. We had a good conversation, but once again because of the rapid pace, I am not sure what we actually spoke abut. We did talk about my children and how well they are doing. My daughter has the State Tests this week which sounds like a big deal for the school system. I’m sure my daughter will do fine since she does very well in school. My son is not subjected to this testing since he is only in kindergarten. The conversation flew by and I had to give up the phone. It is always great to hear from my mother and I made a good decision to speak with both her and my wife.

Prior to making dinner, the mail arrived and I was blessed with three excellent letters. Oddly, none of these came from New Jersey or California. Instead they arrived from the South and the Rocky Mountains. At mail call as is the case throughout my life, I am blessed with incredible people in my life. Some of these people have always been there and have not abandoned me throughout this difficult time. Others are relatively new to my life, but they are truly dear friends. These friends have been with me every step of the way and I am eternally grateful. Reading these letters is the highlight of my day as it confirms my commitment to recovery. Each letter brightened up my day.

I was once again successful in getting through another evening. I turned in at 9:30 pm and sometimes wonder if this is pointless since it takes me until 11:00 pm when “quiet time” starts and the lights go off as to when I really fall asleep. I woke up a few times during the night when the CO’s came through the dorm and shined the flashlight in my face. My dreams seem to be on fast forward as the sequences happen very quickly and then I wake up. I wasn’t exactly eager to start the day, but the faster the morning arrives, the faster I get back to my family.