Thursday, March 15, 2007

Missing Dental Equipment

The lockdown continued all morning. However, I was summoned out into the yard at noon to help with the PFT closing ceremonies. The old coach made sure all the clothes were accounted for as the students individually counted out each piece of clothing. The new coach was as far away as he could get when the clothes were returned. Also, which I find very important was the certificates that the old coach gave out had the student’s first and last name written on them making them very personal. The new coach only had the student’s last name written which made a very special training seem so unimportant and so impersonal. This I found to be very disappointing for the students who worked so hard in the class. Also, the process of handing in the clothes took an hour whereas it should have taken 20 minutes.

After completing the ceremonies and my run, I went inside to “mail call.” I received one piece of mail from my dear mother and so enjoy her letters which always include a great letter from her and an article or two or three or more on various topics. The topic in this letter was a commentary on California’s prison overcrowding problem. It was a great article written by someone who possesses a great deal of common sense! Unfortunately, common sense and politics don’t normally coincide.

In her letter, she made a comment in regard to a picture which was sent by one of my dear friends who visited me last week. My mom stated that I really looked good and how I have great hair. It’s nice to know that prison becomes me! Seriously, I could be miserable pining away as to how I am separated from my family but there is nothing I can do about it. This is extremely my fault and I am doing my best each day to become a better person.

As an aside, the one complaint I have about my face is that underneath my eyes does not tan and I look like a raccoon! I don’t wear sunglasses so that isn’t the reason. I have a very good tan all around my face except for this small part, something must cause this?

We did not have evening yard because someone in the Dental Office could not find a piece of equipment. It was “the Case of the Missing Dental Equipment”. Apparently, whoever was responsible for this piece of equipment misplaced it somehow. In a facility the size of this I find it hard to believe any sharp item goes missing but this will be the second time in 5 months that a potentially dangerous item has been missing. The other item was a garden tool. The dental equipment was not located last night so I stayed inside the dorm.

Another dorm mate story – This one inmate is being released on parole in less than 10 days after a 4 year stay and is obviously looking forward to his release. One of the other dorm mates’s asked him what will be the first thing he does when he gets out. His response was, “I can’t wait to do donuts in my Mustang!” No mention of a girlfriend or child? A fascinating and sad comment as well that he would be most interested in a car!

I headed over to the basketball court for the PFT Plus Class to start. All the Instructors were there waiting when the old coach came out to see us. He spoke with me and the lead instructor and told us he was bringing the Instructors over from the other yard to show them the PFT Plus Class and to have them participate as students. I didn’t think this was such a good idea since the new coach wasn’t outside but I remained silent. It took the old coach about 15 minutes to get back with the Instructors. The new coach came out just a few minutes before and as soon as I saw him, I knew something was going to happen and it wouldn’t be good. As the old coach came back with the Instructors, he went to the new coach and exchanged a few words. The next thing I knew the old coach was walking off the basketball court going back toward the other yard with the Instructors. The new coach didn’t think it was a good idea for the Instructors to participate in the PFT Plus Class. I have to give credit to the old coach because he offered no argument or derogatory words and just walked off with the Instructors by saying “very well.” The new coach who was visibly shaken (he was trembling) by the exchange said a few words to us such as, “I’m sorry you witnessed that” and “You guys understand.” I most certainly didn’t understand because the whole incident was absurd. Okay, the old coach should have consulted the new coach prior to the class. However, the old coach was tied up getting all the necessary signatures from the administration to allow Instructors on this yard. This took time and because of it he couldn’t consult with the new coach. All in all it was a very silly event and some people can be short-sided. Unfortunately, what should be a cohesive program (PFT) is dysfunctional at best and we inmates are in between.