Friday, March 02, 2007

Hiking Through The Woods

The ride back to the prison yesterday was not nearly long enough. I didn’t want to go back but obviously I had little choice about the matter. It felt great to be outside the prison in a natural setting. The good thing was yesterday was Day 5 of the 8 day training program and we had 3 days remaining including today. Before going back inside the prison was a visit to the “strip shack”. Talk about a blast of reality! I didn’t feel like a prisoner while we were outside the prison walls. However once I entered the “strip shack” I was instantly reminded of where I was and what my life has become. Yesterday, being Day 5 meant the “strip shack” has become second nature – it is a necessary evil. I went through very quickly and was returning to the yard.

I immediately headed over to the “store” as I did the previous day. I missed my number by 2 minutes and the CO wouldn’t make an exception. My own needs are not pressing for the store but I did have the time yesterday which didn’t work out. When I left I was able to get in a 5 mile run where I reflected on the days events. I am also a bit nervous about the next destination which is fire camp. I haven’t been a big outdoors person. In fact when I worked for a major accounting firm a number of years ago, part of the training was “how you would survive in the wilderness module.” I completely failed and not only would I not survive in the wilderness for any prolong period of time – according to the training module – I would have died within the first day! Of course, this was a training session, but it does illustrate my lack of outdoor skills. As I stood around and worked the practice fire with our “Pulaskis”, I wondered how I would do with a real fire. I’m sure there will be an adjustment period and I may see limited fire calls since I will be at the fire camp for one season. The rest of the time will be spent on projects and I will adjust.

As I was returning back to the dorm, my dorm mate who is still an instructor informed me of some changes with the PFT coaches. Apparently, there was some discussion with the three of them and the coach on the yard was switched over to the Level 1 Yard and the coach over there was sent here. This simple and possibly insignificant event does affect me because I was hoping to return as an Instructor when the PFT class concludes next week. However, now there is a different coach who doesn’t know me from Adam. Also, I was hoping to speak with the regular coach when I finished the class and inform him of my choice of fire camps so he could recommend me. Now that he is on the other yard, it is impossible for me to speak with him. I can send him a note and I will but I would much rather have personal contact with him. I don’t mind not being an Instructor if I can get transferred within a month but if I am going to be here any longer then I would prefer to be an Instructor. These little events seem to go a long way in a place like this. I will probably speak with the new coach who by the way does not get along with the old coach – and ask if I can come back for the interim and see what he says – it can’t hurt. Also, I will write the old coach a note and hope he responds.

Dorm life is starting to wear thin on me and I can’t wait to move on. The dorm has now been at capacity for the past few weeks and we have lost some members from when I got here 4 months ago. For the most part everyone is respectful but with 36 guys in a small space with 36 different personalities there is bound to be some issues. I try to let everything go but lately I find myself becoming increasingly irritated at certain actions by my dorm mates. In the big picture these things mean nothing and all of this will be a distant memory. I keep reminding myself this journey is only temporary and everything will pass. Some days are better than others but lately things seem to be accumulating. I have very little interaction with my dorm mates which I prefer. I need to let go of certain things because they don’t mean anything.

I was extremely anxious to start the FTP class today because the “Swamper” promised us he would take us on a long hike through the woods. We boarded the fire bus which is also know as a CCV vehicle (but I don’t know what the CC stands for). We grabbed our gear and filled up two water bottles. The Swamper was able to give me a new water bottle this morning as I accidentally (Spaz!) tossed the other water bottle in the fire yesterday. Once again it felt great to get outside of the prison as a person. As we exited the bus, the Swamper gave each of us a Pulaski to carry on the 2 ½ hour hike through the woods. We liked through some very beautiful trees and alongside a vibrant stream. The Swamper took us up some very steep inclines. I didn’t have any problems with the hike but I prefer going uphill as opposed to downhill. I prefer this even when I am running. There is something unsettling about going downhill especially when it is a very steep decline. I believe it is a control issue for me because I have total control when going uphill yet very little when going downhill. Yes, I am a bit of a control freak!

As we were on the hike we saw some very large cat paw prints in the snow which must have been those of a mountain lion. Thankfully, the paw prints were the only thing we saw of the mountain lion but at least we were all armed with the Pulaskis.

The hike amounted to 5 miles and the terrain was fairly steep. I could feel the effects mostly on my ankles. I didn’t have any problems keeping up with the person in front of me as we were required to maintain a ten foot space between each person. My new boots were finally broken in during the hike but the feeling I had on my ankles were the formulation of two large blisters. I knew it was only a matter of time before the blisters occurred and I was surprised I hadn’t developed any blisters prior to yesterday while wearing the hiking boots. I pressed on through the hike and the rest of the day even though I just wanted to take the boots off.

The purpose of the hike was to simulate a hike to a fire and according to the Swamper the hike today was typical and sometimes the hikes are longer to get to the fire. The demands of firefighting are real and can be physically exhausting especially being on a wildfire for 3 weeks straight. I realize I am conditioned for the hikes because of my excessive cardio activity; however, the demands of fighting the fire will take some getting used to. The one thing that is somewhat perplexing is many of the inmates who go to fire camp gain a great deal of weight in spite of the demands of the job. Apparently the food is good and served in large portions so I guess these inmates are consuming more calories than they are burning. Also, judging by those in the class who have already been to fire camp, there seems to be an emphasis on candies, steaks, and other hardy foods. I’m sure I will figure out what is available to me when I am at fire camp. All in all the hike was very good and we were essentially finished by noon. After the hike, we started another control burn in the same area as the day before. Today everyone was armed with an axe and I took a few swings. I think my testosterone level may be lower than those of my classmates because I didn’t actually get into the swinging of the axe as much as they did. I did okay cutting up some trees and placing them in the controlled burn. However, I’m not so sure I can make a living at it!!

Lunchtime was once again spent underneath an oak tree eating my peanut butter and jelly sandwich. This concluded our day and it was back in the bus for the return trip to prison.