Friday, June 29, 2007

"Be Well"

I have yet to sleep through the night since my arrival year one month ago. I do manage to get enough sleep to get through the day without feeling tired. I do feel tired on the bus ride back to camp at 4:00 pm. The combination of the motion of the bus and my not having ideal sleeping patterns does make me nod off for a few minutes. My neighbors across the hall had a good run of getting out early and working out for the past 2 weeks, slept in today. I could hear them say, “I’m staying in bed” as they turned off their alarm. I had a fleeting thought of sleeping in but this quickly passed as I got out of bed.

While I was running, I passed two of the members of the table, one who was going home this morning. Today they were walking and talking. Each time I passed them, I noticed the inmate who was going home very excited with enthusiasm exuding from him. I wonder what I will be doing a few hours from my release in February, probably the same thing I did this morning – run. My time will come and it will be here before I know it. While I waited for the work call, I said good-bye to the inmate who was leaving. Yesterday he was cleaning out his locker and he gave me a few jars of peanut butter along with several packets of oatmeal and honey. It was like a yard sale but instead of selling his property, he was giving it away. I was the recipient of his fan which was legally given to me as we transferred his property to me. This fan is regulation and won’t be confiscated as the other fan was.

It was finally time to say good-bye. I went up to him, gave him a handshake and a firm hug. I had only known him a little over one month, but I was very happy to get the opportunity to know him. He said to me, “I would say keep running, but I know you will.”

I said to him, “I would wish you the best but I know the best is yet to come for you and your family.”

We both smiled and I said, “Be well.”

The very nice CO (the nicest one I have met on my journey) overheard what I said and she said, “I like that.”

Yes, it was a very simple farewell and it is unlikely I will ever see him again. People seem to come in and out of my life all of the time and this has been the case over this past year inside prison. However, now I have real friends in my life who have stayed by me through some very difficult times. I am blessed to have known everyone who has entered and exited my life just like this inmate who walked off the camp grounds dressed in his jeans and tee shirt towards his wife’s car. He had a broad bright smile as he waved his final good-bye. His plans were to stop off at Starbucks for a Frappacino and a scone on his way home. He was spending time alone with his wife prior to picking up his 2 children later in the day. He would be back at work by August 1st. This sounded so simple and I know I am not going to have it that simple. I don’t have a house of my own to return to. My dear friend has offered me a place to stay and I am forever grateful. I have a great deal of planning to do in the next 8 months before I return to society. I know everything will work out, but it won’t be easy.

My crew’s assignment for today was to cut down some dead trees along a highway in Idyllwild. This assignment is worked in conjunction with CalTrans. We reached our destination and 5 rather tall trees were marked to be cut down. They posed a fire hazard and a roadside hazard as they stood near a busy roadway. The Captain took it upon himself to cut down the trees with a 3 foot chainsaw. He had my friend and I rope the trees in order for them to fall away from the roadway. Somehow he knew we were partners which was very nice. I assisted my friend who really didn’t need very much assisting. These trees were over 65 feet tall and all were infested by the Bark Beetle which has infested many trees in this area. I watched the Captain make some very fine cuts and all the trees fell the correct way. After the trees were cut down the chainsaw operators on my crew were given the task of cutting up the trees. The rest of the crew carried the cut up trees to a chipper which was on the roadside. This task only took 3 hours and that was the end of my work day.

Mail call arrived and all this week it has been plentiful. My mom has sent me something almost everyday this week. She sent me a fascinating article J. Tony Serra who has served a 10 month sentence for tax evasion. He wrote about prison reform and made some very salient points. I gave this to one of the other inmates who also found it fascinating. However, one of the more conservation inmates had a point stating that the majority of the population does not care about prison reform, I was in this majority prior to coming to prison because I thought it would never affect me. Most people do believe criminals need to be punished which is the purpose of prison. I now believe the definition of “criminal” needs to be broadened because all law-breakers don’t need to be incarcerated. If these non-violent criminals enter programs, they can become law abiding taxpaying citizens which in turn gives back to society.

Enough of my soapbox. I read the letters and then went back outside to the table. Since one of the members went home earlier today there were only 3 of us. As I went to sit down, I was jokingly referred to by the name of the inmate who departed today. I cannot fill his seat or take his place because we are 2 different people. I can only be myself and the conversation was again plentiful. Those 2 hours passed quickly and I returned to my room where I finished writing and went to sleep. Another day down and 15 days to go until I see my family!