Sunday, June 24, 2007

Not Much Happening

After my in-room dinner I made my way to the table of normal where they were involved in a game of scrabble. I don’t know how wise it will be to join this game when one of the members goes home next week. It isn’t a cutthroat game but they seem to have their issues. I sat the table and observed. I was also able to read a current local newspaper. While I was reading the newspaper, an odd event for a Saturday occurred; mail call was announced and I was on the list. There is a CO who has been at this camp ever since it opened some21 years ago. She is the kindest, nicest, and best CO I have seen in my limited time in the system. The day runs so much better when she on duty and because of her, mail call was announced for only the second Saturday since I arrived here. This CO never sweats the small stuff and everything runs smoothly. It would be so nice if all the CO’s were like her but that is an impossibility. In any case I was able to receive a letter from my Mother which included pictures of my son’s kindergarten graduation. He was so adorable in his makeshift graduation cap and special tee shirt. He really is a good looking boy and was so proud of himself.

After reading the letter, I returned to the scrabble game but really only continued to read the newspaper. Scrabble is not nearly as complicated as I thought, but I did realize I never stop learning. There were some words I didn’t recognize and after looking them up in the dictionary, I had learned something. In any event, the Scrabble game was over and we talked for the rest of the evening. These are all good guys who made mistakes in judgment for various reasons. The more I think about the inmate at the table who is going home next week the more I realize I couldn’t do the same thing he did. He had the opportunity to turn someone in which would have earned him a get of jail free card but chose to remain silent. I couldn’t knowingly be away from my family for 19 months. He was most certainly in the wrong place at the wrong time but his alleged friend was doing something illegal. I certainly realize the value of friendship especially now in recovery, but a true friend does not put the other friend in harm’s way. Anyhow, I continue to learn valuable lessons about myself.

As I headed back to my room, there was a rumor circulating that 2 crews would be sent to a fire in Central California. Last night these rumors were supported as an announcement was made that 2 crews would be departing at 1:00 am for the fire. Fortunately, my crew was not one of them so I was safe to go to sleep.