Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Quack, Quack, Quack

Yesterday, the early-evening hours proved to be very interesting. They were uneventful but interesting nonetheless. I was cruising through the day and had more free time for a weekday since I arrived here. I am fairly certain I enjoy writing more than moving rocks, raking, weed whacking, lawn mowing, or any other outdoor chore, which is why yesterday afternoon flew by. I even had time to listen to the radio in hopes of finding out something regarding the federal judge’s ruling regarding the California prison overcrowding issue. However, much like in the past, this decision did not happen yesterday, and it appears the new day for the decision is next Wednesday, June 27. At this point, I don’t even know if this is an accurate date. Way back in December of last year, the date was set for June 4 of this year. Then there were reports the date was May 16. Well, May 16 came and went as did June 4 and now yesterday, still no decision. I thought the issue was critical, but judging by all the delays, it must not be too critical. Now the date is next week, and I am losing confidence anything will happen before my release date next year. This is truly fine with me because, barring any unforeseen circumstances; I will be walking out of the camp on February 28, 2008 no matter what the decision by the federal judge.

Dinnertime rolled around, and as we were walking up to the dining hall, there were murmurs my crew was headed for a fire call. This happens every so often, but I only believe it when I hear it from a fellow crew member. I did hear it from a fellow crew member before going into the dining hall. We still had a few minutes to eat. After spending three minutes in the dining hall, we hurried back to our room to suit up for the fire call. This meant we only had to put on our boots, grab our lunchboxes and hats, and go outside to wait for the fire bus. I was ready in no time, and I made sure I had a couple of protein bars in my lunchbox just in case we were fighting a fire all night.

When a fire call is sounded, my crew lines up in front of the office. Then the fire bus comes down to pick us up. Since it was after 5:00 p.m., we had to wait for the captain to arrive. Some captains do go home and then come back when there is a fire call. I believe their maximum-allowed response time is 60 minutes, but we have to be ready in five minutes. Before the captain ever arrived, our fire call was cancelled. We hurried for nothing, but this is what we are required to do. When a fire call is cancelled the term given to the cancellation is a “quack” call, which means false alarm. We have now received four of these “quack” calls this month.

As soon as we were cancelled, I returned to my room. I didn’t take off my boots just in case another call came. It was a good thing I didn’t because five minutes after returning to my room, the fire call came again. This time I was ready and headed directly outside. My whole crew stayed ready, and we went right back to the spot where we waited before. Fifteen minutes went by, and another cancellation came through. We were “quacked” for the second time. Once again, I returned to my room, and since I didn’t eat much at dinner, I prepared another prison stew of tuna fish, soup, and beans. I ate my dinner and went outside see what was happening at the “table of norm”. I went to the table, and someone asked me why I haven’t taken off my boots. Just as they said this, the fire call alarm sounded, and for the third time in an hour, we had a fire call. Yes, I was still ready and went back to the required waiting spot. The captain arrived, and we boarded the fire bus. I had on my fire protective gear and was ready to fight a fire.

I sit near the driver’s seat where the captain sits. I can hear the radio, and as soon as I sat on my seat, I heard, “Cancel the hard line” from the radio. This meant that the dispatcher was cancelling my crew for the third time in an hour. This amounted to a Quack, Quack, Quack call; meaning three strikes and you’re out! It was all much ado about nothing, which is why I do my best to maintain an even keel. I don’t get too excited, especially since my crew seems to get cancelled quite often. There are a number of reasons for the cancellations, but when a fire call is announced, I must be ready even through the possibility of cancellation is very high.

Everyone on my crew was disappointed, but I seemed to shrug it off. Instead of going back to my room, I went to the “table of norm” where I spent the rest of the evening. Over the course of the past year, I doubt I engaged in any serious conversations. Last night, all I did was have serious conversations regarding politics, racism, and self-discovery. This is quite a transition for me because it took me a while to get up to speed. Once I got up to speed, I really enjoyed the conversation. There were four of us at the table including me. Unfortunately for the group (but certainly fortunate for the individual), one of the members is paroling (being released) a week from Friday. This individual is on my crew, and I really enjoy his company. He is the type of person I would invite over to my house for dinner and conversation. I can’t say the same thing for many of the other inmates I have met over the past year with the exception of my friend and the three other inmates at the table of normal. The conversation was deep, intellectual, and meaningful. I have to make it a point to get out to the table at least three times a week. My writing does take up the bulk of my time, but yesterday, I was able to finish my writing early. By doing this, I can go outside so I can stimulate my brain.

The evening was shorted due to the quack calls, but the conversation around the table made the night go even faster. As we were talking, the lieutenant was walking the grounds. This was an unusual sight, especially for 8:00 p.m. He was just wandering about the camp and, I believe, making himself accessible. I really have only had one interchange with him, and he seems like a likeable person. He is fairly new to the camp as the previous longtime lieutenant retired only a few months ago. It seems things have changed since the retirement and, especially, with the sergeant who also replaced a retiring person in the previous sergeant. They are making their mark on the camp, and the changes they have incorporated have made things stricter for the long-term inmates. To me, it doesn’t matter, and I actually like the fact that the rules are stricter regarding drugs, alcohol, and cell phones. I don’t want any part of this because all I want to do is my remaining eight months and rejoin my family. Sure, I would like to order a package from any vendor, not just the prison-approved vendors, but this policy has changed with the new staff. I have made almost one year ordering from the approved catalogues, and I will make it the next eight months. There seemed to be more freedoms with the previous lieutenant and sergeant, so many of my fellow inmates are experiencing growing pains. I have no pains only good thoughts as the camp is better than anyplace I have been in the last year while being a part of the California Prison System.

The sprinklers came on, and this was our cue to disband the table of normal for the evening. I returned to my room where I spent the next 30 minutes reading before falling asleep. My night’s sleep was a success because it was much of the same. My crew was once again scheduled for a lay-in, but I wanted to maintain my early-morning routine. Presumably, I could have slept later and exercised during the day, but things do change at the drop of a hat, and besides that, I do enjoy my morning exercise routine. I completed my run, and it was the shower, dress, and off to breakfast routine. After breakfast, it was back to my room to “boot up”. I still needed to do this and go through the normal work-call motions even if my crew was scheduled to be laid in. The work call was announced, and I made my way to the bus area. Since today was Wednesday, the work call was delayed because the C/O’s were busy rolling up (kicking out) an inmate who tested positive for drugs. This positive drug test bought this inmate a ticket back to the big prison, not in Jamestown, in Chino. I have heard this prison in Chino is much worse than Jamestown, and I have no desire to do a comparison. The inmate who was rolled up this morning had only been here a little less than two months. I did know him going back to the Jamestown days because he was in a PFT class I instructed. This inmate is in his very early 20’s, and in the brief conversations I have had with him, I never got the sense he understood the big picture of recovery. Now, he will sit for at least three months where there are prison walls, locks, fences, gates, and barbed wire. I would venture to guess he is regretting his decision to “party” when he first arrived here.

The work call check-in finally arrived, and there always seems to be suspense on a day like today because of the alleged lay-in. The California Department of Forestry, which is now called “Cal Fire”, tries to have enough relief captains on duty to cover all the crew; however, vacation schedules and other assignments sometimes preclude having enough fire captains. This is what is happening this week. There aren’t enough fire captains to cover all the crews. In fact, only one crew went out today while three others (including mine) were laid in. I am certainly not complaining because I know how to fill my day even without work. I filled my day with reading and writing, and I was even able to call my wife today.

This morning I set out to finish “C is for Corpse”, and I did finish it this morning. It wasn’t a bad novel, and I found it compelling considering the novel was written 20 years ago. There wasn’t any mention of computers, Internet, or faxes. The main character, a female private investigator, utilized the library’s microfiche system to look up old newspapers. Today, this would have been done in her office. The author also mentioned telex, which I guess is the precursor to fax machines. Technology has certainly accelerated in the past 20 years. The novel was enjoyable, and it helped me pass the morning quickly. I even I had time to sit outside and enjoy the warm sunshine.

During the lunch hour, we are allowed to use the telephones, and I took this opportunity to call my wife. I wanted to see if she made contact with the counselor regarding the family visit. During the lunch hour, I was able to utilize the bail bond company to reach my wife, thus saving her the expense. I did reach my wife via her cell phone while she was at the DMV. My children were with her, and I did get a chance to speak with them. My daughter’s softball team won the championship fame, and my daughter received a medal for the most improved player. She was so proud and so was I. I cannot wait to see her play in person, and she told me she wants to be the pitcher next year. Hopefully, by next softball season, I can practice with her. She was so enthused about winning the championship game. I also spoke to my son who is doing great and always seems to be happy whenever I speak with him. I did speak with my wife regarding the counselor, but she has not been able to reach her as yet, nor has the counselor returned her telephone call. She planned on following up this afternoon. Also, my wife inches toward a resolution of the 401K saga as an actual officer from my previous employer has called her back. Once again, telephone tag happened, and my wife has to follow up on this as well. It was so nice talking with my wife during the middle of my day. I had a big smile when I got off the telephone, and it made for a wonderful afternoon.

My afternoon was filled with writing as I was able to write two letters to some very good, in fact, extraordinary friends. Once again, I received the mail call early, which gave me the opportunity to write back. I am staying current on my writing all thanks to the lay-ins. I realize my friend is concerned that I seem to write too much as he has told me to “relax”. I guess I didn’t do a good enough job explaining to him that writing is my relaxation. Writing continues to save me everyday, and I do know I have a tendency to be detailed, but it is my therapy. It is also something that I depend on. Once I finished my writing early, I had another opportunity for the table of normal. I wonder what the topics will be tonight.