Friday, October 26, 2007

Highlights of the Second Half of October

Family Visit

Yesterday afternoon I spent most of the time writing my weekly letter to my sponsor. He is an incredible person, and without fail, we correspond on a weekly basis. The letters I receive from him are extraordinary and always contain an uplifting section. He also captures all of the new for the week in a very easy-to-read compact format. I truly don’t need daily newspapers because the news section in my sponsor’s letters is better than any newspaper.

As the date my wife and I had planned on for our family visit (November 9th) was taken, I did find out some of the dates that were available and called my wife. After much indecision, my wife came up with November 30th. This is only three weeks after our initial date, and following the family visit, I will have only three months remaining until my release. Also, this date is closer to my wife’s birthday (December 18th), so we can celebrate it a little early. All in all everything continues to workout for the best, and now I am looking forward to November 30th as the family visit has been scheduled.

I then called my mother since I wasn’t able to speak with her on her birthday this past Friday. Not only did I reach my mother, but I got to speak with my sister and my grandmother. I did speak with my mother at length, mostly about her conversation with the Director of the Las Vegas Recovery Center. I got an outstanding feel for this conversation, and although the job is not 100% committed, I would say the probability of getting the job is much higher than not. My mother also got a good feeling when she spoke with the director, and good things continue to happen.

We also discussed another matter that has plagued me for almost 20 years. I am one class short of receiving my Bachelor’s Degree, and I had asked my mother if she could follow up on this issue. About four years ago, I inquired about taking the class online and was instructed that I needed to be physically present at the University of Maryland for the class since I had not attended a class in over 10 years. After receiving that new four years ago, I became discouraged and never pursued it. Now, I am very motivated to get this done. Once again, my mother came through. As it turns out, I can take the class online and the spring semester starts March 24th, which is three weeks after my release date. This is perfect timing, and I will apply so I can finally obtain my degree from the University of Maryland.

My mother was able to do both of these things this week, and it is very encouraging. Recovery is fantastic as a whole new world has opened up to me. I was told early on in recovery that if you do good things, good things start to happen. This is the law of attraction which I finally believe as “The Secret” and “The Power of Intention” detail as well. I did bad things, and bad things did happen as I am serving a sentence for those bad things. However, now in recovery and learning so much more about myself, I am doing the right things, and the right things are happening. This is so much more than positive thinking. This is positive being. My life is taking shape in the best way possible all thanks to recovery. Without embracing recovery, none of this would have been possible. I am forever grateful for that day 2-1/2 years ago when my world collapsed. It collapsed because my world was built on an inferior foundation, but now, through recovery and “The Power of Intention”, my world is flourishing. Gone are the days of lying, cheating, and stealing, for which I am so grateful. I can look in the mirror and finally know the goodness inside of me. I experienced the badness, and that is no way to live. I am living in goodness, which is the only way to live.

The telephone call with my mother was fantastic and very uplifting. A path is starting to take shape, and this is a very positive path. I will get to see my wife next month, I have a very promising job opportunity when I am released, and I will obtain my degree. Wow, my life is certainly wonderful in so many ways.





Negative Energy

Last night, I received a bevy of mail as I received five pieces. One was a letter from a friend informing me of their visit this coming Sunday. This was very good news since I haven’t seen this friend in over 15 months, and this friend is coming a long way. I am certainly looking forward to the visit, and this is yet another example of the many blessings in my life. Another piece of mail contained a letter from yet another friend who had sent in a visiting form. I haven’t seen them in a long time either. I am not sure how many approved visitors I have, but one of my friends who came to visit me was told I have the most approved visitors of anyone here at camp. I am beyond fortunate and grateful for this and for everyone who has touched my life. I owe all this good fortune to recovery because without it I would be lost, and now I am most certainly found as my life continues to get better.

The morning was very uneventful, and I am doing my very best to avoid negative energy. There seems to be a little from a source which is difficult to avoid; however, I can still avoid the negative energy without avoiding the source. My friend who helps me clean the bathrooms had a close encounter with this source early this morning, and we both agreed, “This too shall pass.” It is unfortunate because we do a very good job on the bathrooms and are NOT problem inmates. We are what is known as “programmers”, which means we follow our daily routine and don’t get into trougly. Why we are being met with negative influences is beyond me, and frankly, I won’t let this get to me at all. I have 4-1/2 months remaining to serve on my sentence, and when March 2nd comes, this is all over. This is a very temporary existence, and those negative influences will live on well past my release. I am working a very good program, and all I want to do is to be with my family. I was rightfully punished for my activities, and thankfully, I continue to embrace recovery, which has given me a new life.



In my wife’s anniversary card, she wrote, “I can’t wait to start our life together again.” My sentiments exactly, and in a short period of time, we will start our lives together once again which will be wonderful. These negative influences are only temporary, and I am grateful for them as a reminder to not fall into the trap. I fell into the trap for a long time, but I have climbed out, and as long as I practice my recovery, this trap will remain closed.





Recovery…

allows me to change in so many ways. I was asked or rather it was more of a statement by a friend prior to coming to prison, “I wonder if prison will change you?”

Yes, prison had changed me and continues to change me in positive ways, I wouldn’t have had the time or inclination to get in touch with my spiritual being for this I am grateful. Speaking of physical changes – the gray hairs that my sister noticed when she visited are now even more noticeable as someone pointed them out to me today. Oh well, this is part of aging and at the very least I still have a head full of hair. Am I vain enough to color it when I get out, I hope not.

The daily verse today is titled LIVING BY MELTING INTO HARMONY. Essentially this is to live a peaceful existence embracing the ying and yang of life. Part of the verse is a task and this task today was “Think of one person who may have wronged you at some time in your life – someone who abandoned you, someone who stole from you, or spread ugly rumors about you. Spend one day putting all thoughts of revenge aside, and instead feel forgiveness and love for that individual. Notice the difference in your body, when you don’t have violent thoughts… this is the essential teaching of the Tao.” This certainly worked for me and is a great exercise. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if everyone practiced this very powerful concept, I think it would.