Sunday, July 09, 2006

Back Home

Last night my wife and I completed the return to Southern California. What took us as a family one week driving across the country took an airplane four and half hours to complete!!! These modern flying machines!!! Just joking; we did land last night in San Diego and it was a very uneventful trip, which is always good when you are flying. It was just my wife and I as the children are being well cared for in New Jersey by both of our families. My wife and I had no one sitting next to us so we were able to stretch out.

We were actually served a meal which was a surprise to both of us. Apparently, Continental Airlines prides itself on serving meals and they don't even charge for them. My meal which was a "special" meal (strict non-dairy vegetarian) was very good much to my surprise. It was a bean burrito with no cheese (hence the non-dairy). My wife had something different but she said it was very good. We were even able to watch two movies because of the duration of the flight. It was a good return trip to a place I once called home.

I cannot call this place home any more because I don't own a home. In fact; I am technically homeless. My wonderful friends will not allow me and my wife to be homeless because they have offered their homes for us to stay. We have taken them up on their offers and are staying at three of our wonderful friends' houses this week. Even though these friends are relatively new friends in our lives they have been unbelievably supportive. I am blessed by each one of them in their generosity. I am a very grateful person and I am so thankful for all the support my family and me have been given.

We stayed overnight in San Diego and drove the 60 miles north to where we are staying for the next few days. We saw four great friends already and for old time sakes drove passed our previous house. I thought our house would be up for rent or for sale but I didn't see any signs on the front lawn and it appears the front lawn is not getting watered along with the flowers. It was hard to see the house and not be able to go inside and settle down but this is what I caused. I know I cannot do anything about the past and I can only concentrate on today and I am forever grateful for my recovery.

My recovery has saved my life and I know there will be many more houses in our future as long as I stay in recovery. Yes, I did visit the past because we were in the neighborhood but I know I am on the right path to a very positive life.

After landing at our dear friend's house it was time for my Sunday evening Gamblers Anonymous meeting. It has been two weeks since I attended a GA meeting in my area and it was good to be home. Yes, GA is my home and all the meetings in my area are my home group. I love the people in my meetings and they all have a very special place in my heart. It was so nice to see everyone. These are great people who have helped me tremendously. I am forever in their debt because each person has taught how important it is to stay in recovery.

It was a great meeting like all our meetings. When I arrived I instantly felt at home because of all the wonderful people. The fellowship has been so good to me and each person brings something different which I learn from. I continue to learn from everyone at the meetings. It doesn't matter if they have 40 years or 4 days in recovery; what matter is they are trying their best to recover from a horrible addiction.

Yes, it does feel a bit awkward being in my hometown with no home but I have so much more than a house. I have friends who genuinely care and have done some extraordinary things for me and my family. I am in a good place because of these remarkable people and I thank everyone for all that they have done.

No comments: