Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Lunch

My wife and I had the pleasure a meeting two magnificent people for lunch. Life does work in strange and mysterious ways because these two people are friends of my mother's and have something in common with my wife and me. These two fantastic people who are also husband and wife were faced with a very similar situation to my wife's and my situation some 14 years ago. In fact; their situation was much more severe than my situation and they made through to the other side which was so nice to see.

We spent two hours talking about our situation and how it relates to their situation. These two people were complete strangers when we met because neither my wife nor I had ever met them before; however; by the time we finished lunch we seemed like old friends.

About 16 months ago I didn't understand what a Higher Power was nor did I care. In fact; I was a bit anti-religious at this period in time and when I entered the Gamblers Anonymous Program I saw references to God and didn't know how that applied to the Program. Well some sixteen months later I am still not a very religious person but I am a very spiritual person. There is a Higher Power in my life and this Higher Power works in magical ways and my Higher Power has been hard at work in the last three months.

Almost three months ago I was supposed to have been sentenced to a prison term which still needs to be determined; however; there have been some legal issues which need to be decided so I wasn't sentenced which has turned out to be a blessing. At first I thought it was going to be a curse because I do want to get on with my life and the only way for me to get on with my life is to serve my "time". However; I have discovered that my Higher Power which I have changed the name from God to the Spirit was not ready to let me go. There was unfinished business and more learning to be had.

The unfinished business was showing me two people who have experienced what I am about to experience and both of them made out very well. The first person I met while working out in Southern California and I was assured it will be tough but not impossible. The second person was one part of the tremendous couple my wife and I met yesterday. I was also reassured that it would be tough but not impossible. I know I will make through whatever period of time the Judge deems appropriate as long as I continue working my recovery and get better as a person.

Yesterday was the first time my wife had met another wife who has experienced what she is about to experience which is having a husband serve "time". My wife asked some very good questions and she was reassured she will make it because right now it appears we are making all the right decisions. My wife is in a spot where she is comfortable and the children are also comfortable. My wife also knows this spot is temporary and we cannot make any long term decisions until my time has been served. This is the best place for both my wife and children and I know my wife will make it through the next few years with flying colors.

My wife and I made an almost 3,000 mile drive to a place where we both grew up. We have been removed from this place for almost 13 years and so much has changed for both of us. My hopes for my family when we left New Jersey was to provide them with a better of quality of life and I believe I did that with the exception of my huge mistake. My hopes are still the same when I serve my "time" to provide my family with a better quality of life.

I know it will be difficult at times for both of us but I have known my wife for 24 years and we have a solid foundation to build upon which will get us to our goal. The situation right now is temporary and some time in the near future we will all be back together as family and enjoying each blessed moment. I know there have been so many blessed moments over my lifetime and I look forward to many more in the years to come. However; none of these blessed moments are possible if I don't work my recovery and I intend to continue working my recovery one day at a time.

Finally, my mother was so kind to set-up the lunch with these two great people and I am forever thankful in so many ways for my mother. She went out of her way to see that my wife and me were getting the right information about my situation. Life does work in mysterious ways and I am so grateful to have a mother and a Higher Power which are looking out for me and my family. I do have a wonderful life and it will remain wonderful as long as I stay in recovery.

No comments: