Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Calling New Jersey

Not to disappoint you all, but this is not Paul - it's his partial creator. Yes, Paul's Mom here. I would rather it be Paul himself, too but I am speaking through him, in a sense. He asked me to post whatever we talked about tonight. He doesn't have a pad or pencil so he can only give me information appropriate for the blog.

His wife and I have been wearing our phones around our necks, taking them into the shower with us, and barely leaving the house so as not to miss any calls from him. Finally tonight around 11:30, the phone rang and after pressing 3 I was able to talk to him for a brief 30 seconds. I asked him about the lockdown last night which is the reason that his lawyer did not see him and he had no idea what I was talking about. There was no lockdown on Monday, just a power outage over the weekend. After what seemed to be not quite 30 seconds he had to leave. The second call came around midnight and I could not hear him at all, the call was disconnected. That was a bummer! So, I waited and it rang again. This time he was loud and clear and his voice was strong.

However, I detected a bitterness there. A case just like his went down sometime before his, the person had a court appointed defender. This person made no attempt to pay anything back and the sentence was the same as Paul's. Was there more political pressure from the victims? From the onset of this case, I was told by his attorney that he would be doing some jailtime, probably 6 months. I haven't gotten an answer yet as to how 6 months grew to 4 years?

Back to Paul's temporary quarters~he was in a large room with many other inmates. They slept in a boat type setting on the floor (I think I got that right). Only for one hour a day were they allowed to get up and in 6 days, I believe he saw daylight twice. Now he was talking very fast and at that time I didn't have a pad with me so I am going from memory - hope all my 3 brain cells are working tonight-

He is now in a cell which has daylight only. There are no lights. So, you know there is a lot of thinking going on ~too much, I'm sure~ and that can't be good!
So far, since he's been there, he has read 3 books. When he sleeps, it's for an hour sometimes 2 hours. Wakes up for some time falls back and again only an hour or two. No activity, tons on his mind, how is 7 consecutive hours possible?

He is able to eat and legally he must be fed foods for his lifestyle. Plain and simple, there is nothing to do. He said the days go by quickly enough, but the nights are endless.
Several people have asked him why he is still here. According to whomever, he was supposed to get tranferred today or Thursday. When I called the detention center today, the woman told me it might not be for a couple of weeks. Who knows?

By the way, he is under protective custody from the Indians. This scared both Paul's wife and myself. But, from what I understand it's not that big of a deal and it ends at the local prison.
Any correspondence (according to the woman at the prison) can be mailed w/his booking # and full name. If he is not there the letter should follow.

So, if you want to give it a shot, here is the address (along with a lot of rules which will be listed at the end of the blog)

Southwest Detention Center
30755-B Auld Road
Murrieta, CA 92563
(951) 696-3050
Paul Del Vacchio
200630928 CH02

VISITING HOURS AS OF NOW ARE ON THURSDAY AND SATURDAY
Please we cannot forget him. He cannot get swallowed up in this prison system. He has become as asset to many people in this past year!
I will be posting from time to time with info regarding Paul.


Thank you all for being there for him!

Mail Rules
To prevent your letters from getting lost or a delay in delivery, please read the following and keep for future reference. Screening of incoming mail shall include rejection of mail containing the following:
No more than 5 photos per letter. (No Polaroid's) The pictures must not contain nudity; violent acts and/or gang related signs or activities. No Glitter, No Tape.
No stationary envelops post-its or any type of craft materials. No Parchment or Black paper. No staples or paperclips. No loose or book of postage stamps.
Stickers/labels (including return address labels), or any type of substance including perfume/cologne that permeates the mail. No items containing glue or white out. No marking pens or felt tip pens.
No, care packages. No flowers, candy, or ribbons. No phone cards.
No greeting cards. No post cards. No plastic.
No cash or personal checks: only U.S. Postal Money Orders are accepted.
No hardback or leather bond books. All books must come directly from a recognized publisher.
No Mail written in gel type ink, in crayon, or has lipstick imprinted on it.
Any mail that is dirty or stained will be returned as contaminated due to unknown substance.
All inmate mail must have a RETURN ADDRESS and the inmates FULL NAME as booked under with the correct BOOKING NUMBER. If mail cannot be returned to sender due to missing return address, it will be placed into the inmate's property and not retrieved.

No comments: