Saturday, October 21, 2006

Adaptability

This entire process has been a very big test to see how adaptable I really am. At the start of this journey over 3 moths ago I showed large signs of weakness in my adaptability. I seemed to be pushed beyond my limits and displayed irritability, nervousness, and paranoia. However, I was able to endure those tests and hopefully I have learned something. I do know one thing no matter what happens on this leg of the journey it is just like the two previous, it is TEMPORARY. This is not permanent and when I think about it this way it puts everything into perspective. I believe I had every “right” to freak out when I found out that I was assigned to the level 2 yard but I continue to learn more about myself each day on this journey. I have always been a patient person and I need to apply this patience to this leg of the journey. Right now there is nothing I can do about my housing assignment nor do I know if there is anything other than informing the counselor in classification about the “mix-up”. I have no idea if they will rectify the situation or leave it as it is. There is one wildcard in this potential dilemma and it is my ability to get to fire camp as quickly as possible. Maybe I was assigned to the level 2 yard because it will mean I can get to fire camp faster. Usually level 2 inmates are ineligible for fire camp for a variety of reasons such as being a violent felon. There are classes for fire camp on both yards and maybe they needed additional bodies to fill up the classes on this yard. This could mean I can make it to fire camp faster than someone on the level 1 yard.

I spoke with a fellow dorm member last evening who was back from fire camp getting some dental work. He has been assigned to a fire camp since April of this year and it took him three months to get to camp from this dormitory. Yesterday some of the inmates I came in with on the bus were speaking to a few level 1 inmates who were saying it was taking up to six months to get to fire camp. As I mentioned yesterday everything happens for a reason and maybe this is one of those reasons. Additionally, as I spoke to my fellow dorm mate and asked more questions because this is the only way I can learn - I asked him about how the 35% (which I believe is actually 33% but that is just me being picky!) is calculated. He told me once he got to fire camp he received a new release date. He was scheduled to be released in the middle of June 2007 but when he got to fire camp in April of this year (which meant he had almost 14 months to serve on his sentence) he received a release date of February 28th. This saved him 4 ½ months on his sentence. He went on to tell me the prison system (CDC) takes 10 days off for each month remaining on the sentence. He had 14 months remaining and they took off 140 days or 4 ½ months. I can apply this to my release date and if (?) I make it to fire camp in three months which would be January 2007, I will have 18 months remaining on my sentence and would receive a 180 days or 6 months credit. This would move my release date from mid July 2008 to mid January 2008. This would be wonderful because it would mean I could be with my children when they both celebrate their birthdays in February of 2008. Even if I stay six months before making it to fire camp it will still take 150 days or 5 months off my sentence making my release date right after my children’s birthdays in February. I am certainly hoping and praying I can get to a fire camp sooner because this would be better.

Yes, there are still many steps which need to be accomplished before getting to a fire camp. I need to pass the physical and firefighting training requirements. Hopefully, I can get a pair of running shoes very soon so I can train before the physical training section even starts. I only have a pair of work boots and judging by how much they were irritating my feet while I was walking around the track, I may not be able to run effectively until I receive the running shoes. I have sent my wife an extensive list of items I would like including the running shoes from the pre-approved catalogue. There are three companies which are approved to send the 12”x14”x 24” box to inmates in the California Prison system. I can receive one package per quarter and this quarter runs until December 31, 2006. This package cannot exceed 30 pounds and judging by the list I sent my wife, I will have to wait until at least January 1st to receive some of the items. The catalogues are quite extensive selling televisions (which are prohibited at this institution – Sierra Conservation Center) clothing, sneakers (tennis shoes), health and beauty products and an assortment of food. The prices are a little on the high side and each catalogue is somewhat unique in their items. Our catalogue has pretzels while the others do not and another catalogue has more name brand items. I did send my “wish list” but above all else I do need the running shoes along with the workout shorts so I can train more effectively then now. Now I am going to attempt to run in my work boots long pants and oversized boxers (which I had to “jury-rig” with a rubber band because otherwise they kept falling down) for the time being. (By the way each of the three catalogues sells electric typewriters which I thought were obsolete since the advent of personal computers. My bunk neighbor was using one this afternoon. I am afraid to ask to borrow it because with the amount of writing I do I will burn out the cartridge in no time!)

As I familiarizing myself with my new surroundings I stopped by the yard office. Okay I need to take a step backwards and explain how “yard” works here at SCC. We have “yard” everyday unless we are on lock down status which we are not now but judging by the stories I have heard it will happen while I am here. This morning we had “yard” from 9:30am to 11:30 am and this evening we will have yard from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Tomorrow we will have “yard” from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm and nothing else. It alternates this way with the inmates on the upper level (there are two levels of dorms) each day. During these times I can run, workout on the pull up bars, or do other calisthenics. Also, is I was fortunate enough to sign up ahead of time I can use one of the telephones on the yard.

There is a sign-up process for the telephones and I signed up today (Saturday) to use the telephone at 11:00 am on Monday. I must place my identification card in this box and then one of the C/O’s draws out the identification card and these inmates can sign up to use the telephone. It is sort of like a lottery system but it appears everyone who places their identification card in the box gets to sign up. They may not get the time they desired but they do get to use the telephone. This is the only way to use the telephone and at first when I heard it was a “lottery” system, I instantly thought of my recovery/abstinence to compulsive gambling. However, I believe I am not in violation of any Gamblers Anonymous principle or guideline by entering this type of drawing. It is amazing how my thought process has focused around my recovery and I have the GA Program to thank for this.

After figuring out the telephone issue, I walked around the track (I will be running soon!) and tried to figure out my new routine. I certainly got used to my routine at the reception center and it made the days go by so much faster. I do not know when I start the training for fire camp and I could be two or three months from now. In the meantime I need to find a job if possible. I did enjoy working in the kitchen so maybe I can find out if one is available. Most of these jobs here are pay jobs which I believe pay a few pennies an hour. Obviously the pay doesn’t matter to me; it is the concept of doing something other than working out. As I approached the yard office I saw a sign posted for a clerk position on the third watch. The Correction Officer in charge of this position stated on the posting that typing skills were required. Also, they were looking for a “non-camper” which means an inmate who is not fire camp eligible. However, the posting did state they would look at all candidates. I though this would be a good position for me because I can type.

However, I do have a few things working against me which are one; I am fire camp eligible and two because of my charges I am precluded from working with a computer while I am an inmate with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (so much for the rehabilitation portion). The posting did not mention anything about a computer and even if there is I am still going to apply for the position. Who knows, the C/O may take me on temporarily until I go to camp or start training. I have filled out the form and am awaiting a response. The position is on the third watch which runs from 2:30pm to 10:30pm which would be a fine working time for me. I am all about doing something productive and this position sounds interesting as well.

I need to adapt yet again and I believe I will because so far I have adapted fairly well on this journey. I need to be patient but I do need to be proactive in my job search. It all boils down to doing the right thing which I will try to do each and everyday.

Here is my new address which may or may not change depending on how it goes with the counselor at classification in the coming week. Anything sent to my previous address will be forwarded to me for the next 30 days - after that it will be returned. This is my new address:

Paul Del Vacchio F38991
56-11L
5150 O’Byrnes Ferry Road
Jamestown, CA 95327

No comments: