Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Add-On

It was an extremely easy morning in the kitchen because the menu was the simplest one I have seen since I have been in the kitchen. The menu consisted of pancakes and cracked wheat (hot cereal). These were the only hot items and the ovens were only needed for the cracked wheat. As has been the case since I started in the kitchen I always check the assignment sheet which is posted by the C/O. I have been on the ovens (as most of you know because this is all I write about!) over the past month. My name always appears on the ovens spot and today was no exception. However, my name also appeared on the window server line as well. I thought this a bit unusual and when I went into the C/O’s office to retrieve the mixing utensils (water bowl, dough cutter and whisk) I asked the C/O about the assignments. He did tell me I was assigned to both positions because there was only one item for the ovens. I did not have a problem with this because it provided a break from the same old oven routine and I hadn’t worked the window in a long time.

All of the cracked wheat had been heated and 90% of it had been mixed into the six inch pots when I had to go to the front line and work the window. The other “oven guy” finished mixing the cereal while I worked the window. Working the window is yet another very easy position. The trays slide down by he “tray pusher” and the “window guys” responsibility are to take the trays and put them through the windowless window slot. This is where the inmates take the tray and go to their seat to eat the breakfast. The breakfast was so simple there weren’t any issues whatsoever. The only concern for me while I was working at the window was keeping track of how many inmates were left towards the end of each of the three services. Good thing I can count! Having both positions made the morning go by so much faster and I even had time to sit down during the breakfast services. Usually while working the ovens, I do not sit down because I seem to always be doing something. Not today, in between services all the line servers sat down and I was equally as fortunate because my friend the “normal inmate” worked on the same line. Talking with him also made the services go fast as well.

We finished everything in time and I was very pleased when we were able to feed the inmates at the requested time of the kitchen supervisor which was 5:30 am. The supervisor made a point to me yesterday that we would run the “short line” (this is where the inmates who work in the kitchen with the exception of the “oven guys” eat their first breakfast) at 5:30 am, and I told her that there shouldn’t be any problems if we were a little behind because the first real line service starts at 6:30 am. We needed to have the kitchen staff fed by 6:00 am in order not to have any problems. The kitchen supervisor was adamant about getting the “short line” out at 5:30 am no matter what I told her so my response was “Yes Ma’am!” Today wasn’t a problem because of the simplicity of the menu but the next two days have three items and there may be a problem but I will try my best.

After the shift was over it was back to the dormitory and my exercise routine. I have made it a point to erercise right after work and I have been doing this ever since I started working in the kitchen. When I first started my routine, I was performing it by myself, a few weeks later I started exercising with my “neighbor”. A few weeks after this the “normal” inmate joined us and last week we had two other inmates join us as well. Now I am part of an entire exercise “crew”. It is fascinating because only my neighbor and I are able to complete the exercise routine without stopping. Everyone else misses a few push-ups or walks away after we are half way complete. I must give these inmates credit for starting the schedule with us because it is not easy. Today my neighbor and I did complete the routine while the others faded away. I seem to always want to go farther and some days I do this by myself, but today I didn’t want to for fear of straining my chest anymore.

When the exercise routine was complete I was ready for that hot shower just like I was yesterday but again there was only cold water. Today unlike yesterday I took a “bird bath” because the water was much too cold. I was able to get clean concentrating on the essential area (that is a mystery) and feeling much better after I was finished. After the “bird bath” I got dressed and started in on my bridging material.

My bridging material has slowed down a great deal. It has slowed down because when I completed the first 9 days in the first week of my review the Bridging Instructor gave me no encouragement. I do know it is up to me to determine my attitude; however, I got the distinct impression the Bridging Instructor was just going through the motions and hadn’t looked at a word I wrote. I am almost finished with the first book which I do need to earn my half-time credit. I will complete the program but the motivation from me is lacking.

I finished one chapter and had enough. I put the book down and went to talk to the “normal inmate”. We talked for a few minutes and I went over to another inmate’s bunk who also works in the kitchen. This inmate has similar charges to mine and we did “connect” on a certain level when we both discovered the similarities in our case. He is transferring tomorrow to his main-line institution. He is going to a Medium Community Correctional Facility which is a private prison. These are very low level prisons where inmates with less than 15 months left to serve on their sentences go. I visited him at his bunk because I have never visited him there before, in fact the “normal” inmate is the only one I visit; however, I did want to wish the other inmate well. I was sitting there for a minute or so when my name was called over the loudspeaker. I was summoned to the office with another inmate.

I was perplexed why I was being called because inmates are only called to the office for disciplinary or medical reasons. I don’t have any of these issues. Then I thought for a moment longer and I realized an additional reason which was being an add-on to the “trans-pack” list. I knew it had to be this reason but I couldn’t figure out where I would be sent. The two fire camp transfers went out yesterday (Monday) and earlier this morning (Tuesday). The next one is Friday morning. Usually when the C/O’s add an inmate it means the inmate is leaving the next day which would be Wednesday. Having prepared the “trans-pack” list last week I knew that I couldn’t be going to any of the places on the list because they were CCF’s (Community Correctional Facilities) and I don’t qualify. I have too much time left on my sentence (21 months from today, ugh!). I was very nervous as I entered the C/O’s office along side the other inmate.

As I walked in, the C/O was preparing a large brown shopping bag and I instantly knew I was finally getting transferred but I wondered to where? The C/O (who by the way spelled my last name incorrectly on the bag but I was not going to correct him) told me I was going to JAMESTOWN FIRE CAMP TRAINING CENTER (also known as Sierra Conservation Center, what a pleasant name) on Friday October 20th. I’m finally moving on!! As soon as I heard Jamestown, I felt goose bumps go down my back and a large smile came across me face, to say I was elated is an understatement. I haven’t felt this happy is a very long time and it has now been three hours since I was given this wonderful news and I haven’t stopped smiling.

I took three large brown paper bags for my belonging. In two of the bags are all the letters I have received since my sentencing day. In the other bag are my soap, shower shoes, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, brush, soup, and peanut butter. I cannot take any clothes because I am given new ones when I get there and I finally get out of the orange color into the blues. I packed the bags and brought it back to the C/O where he stapled them up and had me sign for the contents. Off they will go with me when I depart at 3:00 am on Friday morning. Another good thing about going to Jamestown is there are two other inmates from the “old guy” dorm who are going as well. At least I will know some people and can get some guidance because one of them has been there before.

I need to take a time-out and thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers because I believe there is most definitely a “higher power” at work. I know I have gone on adnauseun about the Fire Camp and now it is finally a reality. I had to keep the faith and thanks to everyone in my life that have showed me so much love and support. I did get what I wanted - now it is up to me to move past the Training Center into an actual Fire Camp. I do understand it will be hard work but I am so looking forward to it and now I have my chance. I couldn’t do this without all of you and please know I love each one of you so very much.

Now everything is packed away, with the exception of one pen, three envelopes and writing paper. I can truly relax for the next two days because the wait is finally over. I am onto my next step in this journey and one step closer to being with my wonderful family. I am getting closer and closer to finally being able to breathe. Today after receiving this glorious news, I am experiencing a rebirth. I knew it was only a matter of time and finally this time is now.

No comments: