Friday, October 27, 2006

One Week Already

Much to my surprise, I did not receive a ducat (pronounced duck-it) last night to reschedule my medical appointment. As a result, there was no conflict with the physical training instructor’s exam this morning. What a difference two days makes and I was able to complete the exam much better than I did on Wednesday. In fact, when the exam was over I was ready for more. I improved 100% over Wednesday’s exam and was quite pleased (somewhat) with myself. I did struggle with my form on the mountain climbers and because of this I need to retest next week.

There were three of us again taking the exam and somehow over the past day the one remaining position has been filled. I am not sure how this happened because there weren’t any exams yesterday and this morning was the first one since Wednesday afternoon. I do understand there is a great deal of “Who you know” here in prison. It appears many things get done with this concept. I t didn’t matter to me whether or not this position was filled; I needed to prove to myself that I could pass the exam. Although I did not technically pass, I was happy with the performance. Now I know how to perform the mountain climbers properly and I fully expect to pass next week. In fact I wanted to take it this afternoon, but I was unable to get outside because it was not our time for yard. The CO unlocks the dorm door at 15 minutes to the hour in order for anyone who may work or has a ducat to get outside. I could have told him I was testing for the instructor position but I thought he would come back and open the door when yard opened; however, he did not. The CO only opened the door earlier than the 15 minutes to the hour for a fellow dorm mate’s ducat to see his counselor. So, I couldn’t get outside. This doesn’t matter because now I know what I need to do in order to pass and I will practice this all next week.

None of the three of us passed the exam because, I believe, the instructors grading were more critical due to all the positions being taken. If actually when I do pass the exam, I will be put on a waiting list and when the next instructor leaves, I can take over. I was told that the instructors leave all the time and in the next few weeks, they are losing two. Of course, I am concerned with the timing of becoming an instructor since I have to give a four month commitment. Whether I am an instructor or not I want to get to an actual fire camp sooner as opposed to later. For every month that I am here, I lose 10 days to my new release date. I could be here for six months which means I would lose two months to my new release date. Instead of being released in December 2007, I would be released in February 2008. I do understand in all likelihood, I will be here at least six months before going to an actual fire camp. It will be nice if I could be an instructor during this period and have the opportunity to pick my own camp. I spoke with the head instructor who told me that I did not have to give him a four month commitment in order to become an instructor. I could become one without the commitment and if I did get transferred prior to the four months, then I couldn’t choose a fire camp.

Certainly, I would like to select the one which is located 45 minutes from where I used to live in Southern California. However, my first priority is getting back to my family as soon as possible. In actuality, ten days per month is not that much time to give up; however, any day sooner IS a big deal to me! Who know if any of this will come to fruition, but it is very hopeful to have these possibilities. Not for nothing, but I do know I can pass the regular physical training exam which is a very big step in order to get to my next destination.

It seems my entire prison journey has been all about getting to the next destination with the end goal of being back with my family. I do like to look at it this way because it does provide a trail and also displays that each step with the exception of the last one is temporary. With that in mind, it is hard to believe that it has been exactly one week since I was transferred from the reception center. This has gone by very quickly even without a solid routine to follow. The entire week has been an ongoing learning experience just as the entire journey has been. Presumably, I will continue to learn each day and somewhere in the not so distant future I will have a solid routine to follow. I do have somewhat of a schedule preparing for the Instructor’s Exam. I would like to get outside each morning when it is not my yard time. I won’t be breaking any rules and it will only be temporary until I can start in instructor position. I must be patient and if I cannot get out in the morning, I will perform the workout in the afternoon.

One of the many drawbacks of the overcrowding of the prison system is the inability to have morning and afternoon yard each and everyday. Not so long ago – 5 years to be exact – there weren’t nearly as many inmates here at SCC (I do like that name) and they were able to enjoy both morning and afternoon yards. This is neither the case now nor the case for the time that I am incarcerated. Yet another one of the many items I do accept because it is completely out of my control. I will make do with the correct circumstances and will get through this very temporary situation.

I am very happy to report that I have received my first piece of mail here. It was sent to my previous address at the reception center and was actually forwarded. The postmark on the letter was October 17th and was from my dear sponsor. He sends some wonderful letters which provide me with great reading material for several days. In fact, some of the reading material I will use throughout my entire time in the prison system. He is another cornerstone of my recovery and I so blessed to have him in my life. I do know that no matter where either one of us may reside in the future; I have made a dear friend for life. Receiving this piece of mail just like receiving all the other mail makes my days brighter! I have so many fabulous people in my life and I am forever grateful.

No comments: