Thursday, December 14, 2006

Getting Older

(Another blog condensed)

Last week I put in what is known as a “A request for interview” slip to the medical department. According to my last visit with the doctor on November 2nd I was supposed to be scheduled for a follow-up two weeks later. It’s been six weeks and so far I haven’t heard anything. I received a response for my slip which stated that I needed to see the registered nurse on the yard. She screens the request for the doctor. After waiting and waiting to see her and having her be extremely rude to me and seeing her for a total of four minutes she explained that there was a “computer glitch” in setting up the appointments. She did say she would request an appointment for me with the doctor and if I didn’t hear anything in two weeks to put in another slip. Unfortunately, I am at the mercy of the medical department right now and need medical clearance as soon as possible. It is imperative I stay on top of this issue because it is apparent that I have to watch out for myself – no one else appears to be.

The other issue I have is with my counselor and I also sent him an “Inmate Request for Interview” slip inquiring as to the status of the paperwork requested from the county. I sent this request three weeks ago and haven’t heard anything back yet. It is now time to move to the next step which is seeing him. I was hoping to hear something by now so next Thursday I will get to the “Open Line” cattle call in order to see my counselor. Also, I need to ask him the status of my family visit because it is now approaching 3 weeks since I sent him the paperwork and I haven’t heard a thing. My wife needs time to make reservations which was indicated on the form sent to him. I hope he doesn’t give me a date with no lead time. I can’t wait to see my wife but airfare on short notice is extremely expensive and she needs to conserve all the money she can. Hopefully, by the end of the week I will have substantive answers to these issues.

Last night I once again composed three more letters which took up most of my evening. I was feeling the effects of the very demanding day and felt sleepy. I was asleep within two minutes of my head hitting the pillow at 10:00 pm and didn’t wake up until 5:00 am. The combination of not sleeping the night before and the physical demands of my day had caught up to me.

I went to breakfast with everyone in my dorm and now that my breakfast partner has departed for fire camp I have become a free agent when sitting in the dining hall. I still manage to sit next to someone whom I know. It is very strange because many of my fellow inmates know my first name through the PFT class as being the instructor; however, I don’t know their name. I do feel badly about this because I feel that I should know their names. It is also strange that when I walk or jog around the yard many inmates call out my name and say hello, yet I have no idea who they are. I am always cordial and reply in kind. I am starting to learn their names but I have a long way to go.

Amazingly enough I didn’t have any soreness when I woke up this morning but although I got a good night’s sleep I was still physically tired. I was able to do the morning PFT Plus class but it was more of a struggle than it is usually is. The two instructors who also did this class felt the same way and they are in their 20’s. This job is keeping me in good shape and good health but I have to remember I am getting older and sometimes discretion is the better part of honor. The only exercise I did today was the morning PFT Plus class and I do think as I get older I am FINALLY GETTING wiser – I hope!

No comments: