Sunday, December 31, 2006

Good-Bye 2006

I went one full day without eating a peanut butter and jam sandwich. I had so much to eat during my wonderful visit there was no need for my daily sandwich. It has been awhile since I made it through one day without having one.

Last night was another evening yard and I had a telephone call scheduled. I decided to call my younger sister because it has been awhile since we last spoke. The telephone call went through without any problems and I did indeed speak with her. Once again, those 15 minutes on the phone went by like a blink of an eye. I was still on a “high” from my earlier visit and I did most of the talking. I didn’t even get a chance to ask my sister how her “White Christmas” was and how her lovely children were. By White Christmas I mean – she lives where it has been snowing quite heavily over the past two weeks. I did talk about my earlier visit and only a few other items. It was great to speak with her and I do miss her so much. Yes, we have lived geographically far from one another for the past 14 years but we are still very close. She and her husband are yet more incredible people in my life. I will continue saying this because it is so true. I am a very blessed person.

The evening yard closed just after I finished the last mile which was perfect timing! I went inside the dorm to begin THE BROKER by John Grisham. As I was in my bunk, I was offered a sip of “Pruno”. I respectively (as much as I could) declined a few times. After the fourth time my dorm mates gave up and moved on. After this I did keep one eye open to see what kind of “drunks” my dorm mates were and fortunately they were happy ones. There was a slight incident later on at night which I did miss (thankfully) because I was asleep – other than that there weren’t any problems.

As I was lying in bed Sunday morning, I turned on the radio and the topic on the talk show was addiction with an author who had recently written a book on this topic. I only listened to the tail end of the show, but from what I heard I am most certainly on the right road to recovery. The author wasn’t speaking about a specific addiction, rather was speaking about it in general terms. He agreed with the 12 step program and was emphasizing the first step – promptly admitting the person has a problem and life is unmanageable. I didn’t catch the title of the book but I do know the 17 pages in the GA Combo book covers all this for me. Was it really “irony” that I just happened to turn on the radio to hear about the recovery or part of the greater plan? I am not sure, but I do know there is a plan in place for me which has brought me back to an existence and I am forever grateful.

At midnight tonight it will be good-bye to 2006 and hello to 2007. I am very happy to see 2006 go away. The last six months of this year have been something I will never forget. It looks like most of 2007 will be this way also. I do know in spite of being separated from my incredible wife and children, things are working out for the best. My family is in a place filled with so much love and support. My children get to interact with their grandmothers, aunts, uncles, and cousins on a daily basis. I have learned and continue to learn so much about myself as I progress on my journey. I do like the way things are turning out. It has not been easy – especially this past week through the Christmas Holidays. However, this experience has been filled with more positive than negative. An example of this was the magnificent visit I had yesterday with 2 people who I didn’t know two years ago. Now I consider each of them very dear friends. I do owe all of this to my recovery because there is no way I could have had any of these positive experiences without it. I am learning to live life in a very different way and this is the right way. I need to stay on the right path and continue to experience all that life has to offer. I pray to God I will never take even the smallest thing for granted. I have a new appreciation for so many things and especially people. I have been delivered from an insane existence to a sane positive existence and I am forever grateful.

Last, I hope and pray everyone had a very safe and fun New Year’s Eve. I do look forward to 2007 but I do know the only way for me to get through the New Year is starting January 1st thru December 31st – one day at a time. May God Bless everyone because I continue to find so many blessings in every aspect of my life.

No comments: