Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Protein Drink Hysteria

Yesterday afternoon I was extremely happy as I walked back to the yard from my medical appointment. When I returned, the yard was closed because it was lunch time. I was hoping the PFT class was in action during this time but I saw it was not. I stopped at the lead instructor’s dorm to ask about the PFT class and also to inform him on the status of his protein supplement. By the way, there is only one lead instructor because the other will be paroled in less than two weeks and inmates are ineligible to work when they have less than two weeks prior to their parole date. His last day was last Friday so officially he is retired. He was receiving these drinks for six months prior to “someone” mysteriously discontinuing their use. The PFT class was going to start in 30 minutes and I didn’t miss anything by being in the doctor’s office. When I told him the doctor didn’t discontinue his drink he gave me a big smile and said, “I knew it!” As we talked more there appears to be a turf war between the doctor’s office and the people administering the protein drinks. They are dispensed through the “pill call” line on the yard. There is a medical Technician Assistant who dispenses these. In spite of these people having their name “Medical” in their job title, they are correction officers and are the responsibility of the Custody Department – not the Medical Department. Apparently someone in the Custody Department took it upon themselves to discontinue the protein drinks for the lead instructor.

Later that day the lead instructor got called into the doctor’s office where the doctor asked him about the protein drinks. The instructor confirmed everything that I told him and the doctor was very apologetic and assured him he didn’t discontinue his drinks. The doctor wrote on the prescription “ Do not alter without permission of the doctor”. It seemed my innocent question uncovered the proverbial can of worms. By the way the protein drinks were readily available for both of us today.

Yesterday afternoon the PFT class started Day One but it was clearly evident this would not be a typical class. Due to the holidays the students will not be given a full 9 day course. It appears the emphasis from the administrative department is to pump as many students through the class as possible. However, the coach will not pass anyone who is not ready. As we met with the coach he spoke to us about the scheduling and the changes that will take place after January 1st. I couldn’t help but to shake my head in dismay. I could tell that the coach did not agree with these administration decisions but he had no choice. Also, I found myself asking more questions and adding more comments than I have ever done in the past. I only started this position a little over a month ago and I guess I am getting more comfortable because in the past I didn’t say too much. Strangely enough, I do care about my position and like learning about how the instructors really work in prison. I do enjoy the post class meetings because the coach keeps my brain active which is very important that I stay mentally active. After the meeting I ran and did some pushups.

After the push up session, I headed back to the dorm for my daily hygiene ritual and had my afternoon snack. Afterward, I did what I normally do which is to write. The mail came and I only received one letter. It appears the Christmas season has delayed the mail process considerably because now I am receiving mail which was postmarked 10 to 15 days as opposed to 5 to 7 days. After writing, it was time for dinner which was filet o fish. Needless to say, my tray was filled with beans which held me all night.

Last night was an evening yard night and I did have a telephone call to my wife which surprisingly went through. I wished my wife a Happy Birthday but it seemed to be a very uneventful and quiet day for her. The 15 minutes – actually 13 – went by in a blink of an eye. We talked about her birthday and she told me that our son and daughter were able to get her a pen and coffee mug from the school store. My wife also informed me that she received another package from my dear GA friends in Southern California. In the package were more gifts for my children with two wrapped gifts for my wife. They are truly incredible people and I love each one of them! They are extraordinary and I thank each one for their unbelievable generosity, support, and love. Thank you so very much, thanks to all my dear friends in GA. I know for a fact recovery does work and life continues to get better each day. May God Bless Each of You!

I returned to the dorm where I finally finished HOUR GAME by David Balducci. The end was very good and it was a great way to start my new book collection. I have become a library of sorts and have lent out more books to my dorm mates. An inmate whom I have never seen before came up to me with a laundry bag full of books and asked if I were Paul and wanted to trade books with him. I declined stating that I haven’t read all of them which I wanted to do before trading them out. But – which I didn’t say to him – I really was afraid I wouldn’t get these books back because this inmate was from a different dorm and since these books were given to me by mother and sister they have special meaning for me.

No comments: