Saturday, December 16, 2006

A Very Different Type Of Day

There was a search of lockers yesterday looking for “contraband”. My dorm was not searched even after everyone scrambled thinking the CO’s would venture into our dorm.

When all this “drama” had subsided the PFT Plus class was held with the attendance down somewhat. Most of the evening was taken over by me writing. Usually I write the blog in the late afternoon but due to my extra workout this was pushed back to the evening. This was just as well because once again the evening went by very quickly. I finished writing and decided to shave just in case my visitor came early this morning. I wanted to conserve the time because I don’t know how the visiting process works. I have seen my fellow dorm mates go out for visits and it appears the CO comes into the dorm to apprise them of the visit. Once they are notified they leave right away. I wanted to be clean shaven for the visit and the best way for me to ensure this was to shave last night.

I had a few administrative matters to attend to this morning before my visitor came. When the yard opened I headed straight for R&R where I could pick up the books my mom sent. I had no problem getting in and I was the first person called. There were three boxes waiting – two from Barnes and Noble and one from Amazon. The Barnes and Noble were from my mother and the one from Amazon was from my younger sister. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful and supportive family.

As it turns out I am only allowed to have 10 books in my possession. I received 10 from my mother and 3 from my sister. When the CO explained this to me, he asked which three books I would like to send back. I was looking at the books for a few seconds to decide this when he said, “Get out of here and take all the books with you.” I thanked him for his kindness. I had no idea I was in violation of the rules and I was very appreciative he let me keep all. Now I have my own reading material for a few weeks. I just have to put the extra three books in my bunkie’s locker so the CO’s don’t confiscate them.

After this I went to the store to see if I would be eligible to go today. However, it was clear they wouldn’t get to my number until next week. I kept listening to the loudspeaker for my name to be called. Unfortunately, it didn’t happen today. Next I tried to secure a telephone call for Monday, my wife’s birthday. This is all predicated on the fact that the yard opens up this evening.

No comments: