Friday, December 29, 2006

Tale Of Two Coaches

Yesterday afternoon I was able to perform a rotation and workout the entire class which felt really good. For the first time I brought out my CD radio walkman which I usually don’t use when I exercise but I decided to try something different. The reception is much better in the outside yard than it is in the dorm. I have no problem putting myself elsewhere when I exercise; however, with the addition of the earphones playing upbeat pop music in my ears I was truly locked away in my own little world. Now I see why so many runners run with an I-pod. I was amazed at how fast the hour went by. The outside noises were muffled and I had a hard time hearing those around me. I had to take them off when some of the inmates came to speak to me with questions mostly surrounding the end of the PFT class.

Having the headphones on as I worked out was a good change of pace. However, I could only use them on the Harvard Wall because I was just stepping up and down. Running is another story only because the headphones are too large which is a real pain. I believe my workout was better than usual because of the CD player. As I ended my workout I was approaching a critical point in time. I prefer to end my workouts at 2:45 to catch the unlock otherwise I have to wait until 4:00 pm when the yard closes. When I get in at the 2:45 unlock, I am able to do laundry, shower, and eat something before dinner. When I miss this it throws off my entire schedule (who would think that I actually have a “schedule” in here). I thought about cutting my Harvard Wall a couple of minutes short, but during that time the unlock came and went and I missed it by only 2 minutes. I saw a CO crossing the yard and hoped he would provide me with an unlock but this didn’t happen.

I finally got in to the dorm a little past 4:00 pm which meant I didn’t have time to eat anything, and also my writing schedule had shifted as well. I did my laundry and took a shower and it was time for dinner. I was able to eat plain pasta, beans, and carrots with corn bread. This was very filling and plenty of food to last me through the evening. I headed back to the dorm so I could write some more prior to going out to the yard so I could make an evening “make-up” phone call from the Christmas Day debacle. I was so immersed in my writing I didn’t notice the door opening and almost missed going out in the yard. I scrambled and made my way outside. I met up with the lead instructor and we talked about the PFT class. Our coach is on vacation and won’t return until next week. The coach from the other yard came over on Tuesday for a brief session and we have not heard from him since. We talked about how there might not be a test and all the students in the class may fail. It was interesting because even the lead instructor was in the dark about what was going to happen so we were both ready for the unexpected.

It was now time for my telephone call. My wife was supposed to be at my mother’s house with the children. Thank goodness I was able to get through without a problem. As a bonus, both my daughter and son were still awake. I was very happy to speak with them. I spoke with my son first who explained all about his Tiki Barber jersey he received for Christmas. He was even able to tell me that the number on the jersey is 21. I was very impressed and my brother-in-law is a good influence on him. My son also told me how he is shooting some hoops at basketball practice with his uncle. He went on to tell me how he makes a lot of baskets. It was such a cute conversation, my heart melted. Next it was my daughter’s turn to talk – who had a much shorter conversation. I think she was very tired and I did speak with her at length two days ago but it is always wonderful to hear her voice. These are truly special moments and I do cherish them very much.

Then it was on to my wife who I found out had made a very good decision – something we have talked about for the last 5 ½ months. At first I didn’t agree with her but I am not in any position to dictate any opinions that I may have. My wife did what she felt best and I must agree with her now. My life is not my own and I have no options or choices while I am here. I’m happy with her decision and it is one less thing she needs to concern herself with. When I went back to the dorm, I broke one of my eating rules which is not to eat after 8:00 pm. It was now after 9:00 and I needed something so I made myself a single serving of oatmeal which hit the spot.

After breakfast, I was waiting for the yard to open so I could do the PFT class when I noticed the other coach walking into the yard with an instructor from the other yard. By seeing this it meant we were going to have the regular class and today was test day for the students. I made my way into the yard and we were indeed administering the test today. As I explained the other day, this coach is very different than our regular coach. Today proved this in a very big way. Our coach has an extensive test which is given in such a manner to truly test the students mental and physical abilities. The last part of the test from our coach is the one mile run. The first part from the coach today was the one mile run. From the onset, they are at opposite ends of the spectrum. The normal test takes about two hours and 15 minutes from start to finish. Today the test took one hour and 10 minutes. The students were given a gift by having this coach because for the first time on this yard no one failed the test. This test consisted of a one mile run, followed by the 4 mile power walk, and finishing up with the ability to do pull-ups. The students didn’t have to do a specified number – just show the ability to do them. In fact, there were a few students who couldn’t do any but were passed anyway. The test was so very different and all I can say is I am glad to work under the regular coach because I know his students and instructors are truly ready for the physical requirements of being a wild fire firefighter.

I spent a few minutes before the test had started, speaking with the instructor who came from the other yard. I was interested in the requirements to become an instructor on the other yard and I asked him about these. He told me they had to run a mile in 6 minutes and 30 seconds. I then asked, “What else?”

He stated, “No, that is it, only run the mile.”

I thought this was very interesting but running one mile in this time does not mean a person is in shape. I did press him a little more but I could tell there was definitely a rivalry between the instructors on the two yards. I was certainly jumping into this rivalry because I felt very protective of our requirements to become an instructor which I believe are more strenuous than running one mile in less than this time but it doesn’t mean I have the strength to become a fire fighter. I do know the test I passed and continue to pass every Friday ensures me I have both the stamina and strength to become a wildfire firefighter. The class started and I had to end our conversation. I thought more about it and at each step of the way someone has been looking out for me because I was placed on this yard for a very good reason. Also, I am so grateful to have been placed here over 2 months ago.

The test was over which seemed like no time at all. Afterward, the instructors had to laugh about what had just happened. We witnessed “The Tale of Two Entirely Different Coaches” and we were all in agreement that our coach is doing the right thing. We were also happy to be part of this program. It was a fascinating morning and yet another lesson learned for me. At every step of the way on this journey, I continue to learn and I am so grateful for these lessons.

No comments: