Thursday, February 08, 2007

Happy 6th Birthday, Son!

My dear son turned 6 years old today. Technically he turns 6 at 10:05 pm PST and this would mean since he is currently living in the Eastern Time Zone he “officially” doesn’t turn 6 until 1:05 am tomorrow morning. For intents and purposed (especially according to his birth certificate) he is 6 years old today.

I still remember the day of his birth like it was yesterday. Even though my wife was 7 days late, my son didn’t wait very long to make his presence known. We arrived at the hospital in order to have the doctor induce labor. However, it took 5 very short hours before he joined this world and he has been going ever since. He is a bright eyed blond hair very cute little boy. He is a boy in every sense of the word! He loves, sports, trucks, and anything which requires constant motion. He has such an easy going personality and seems adaptable to any situation. He is a joy to be around and I miss him so much. I am sure he had a wonderful birthday surrounded by so much love from my wife and our family. I was hoping to be able to speak with him, but as things go here behind the “prison” wall I have not been able to have the opportunity to use the telephone. I have one more chance this evening which will require waking him up if I do call and I will see what happens. Whatever the case I love him dearly and wish him a very happy 6th birthday!

It is hard to imagine how fast those 6 years have gone. My son was born in Las Vegas. From there we moved to Southern California and of course from there he moved to New Jersey. There has been a great deal of bouncing around in his short life, but he truly is a great kid and has gone with the flow. I certainly hope the future provides him with less bouncing around and I know it will. I also hope this is the only birthday I miss and with a swift move to fire camp this is very possible. I will say it again, he is a great kid, I miss him so much. Happy Birthday, son!

After my earlier than expected meeting with the IRS representative, I realized how fortunate I was she came one day early. The PFT class was cancelled due to the inclement weather and the test would be this morning depending upon the weather. The IRS lady was supposed to be here this morning but as fate – yes, fate not some big coincidence – would have it she came yesterday clearing the way for me to be able to take the PFT class. If she came when she was originally scheduled this most likely would have caused a three week delay from getting into the fire fighting training class. Someone is looking out for me and all those prayers keep being answered. The blessings and very good fortune continue in my life.

The coach announced the cancellation of the class yesterday and instructed everyone to be ready for the test this morning. After this announcement he brought a representative from the Substance Abuse Program to talk with the class regarding the benefits of this program. This is only offered at the forty-one fire camps and has been in place the last 3 years. Based on what I heard yesterday this is an excellent program for someone with a substance abuse addiction. Unfortunately, compulsive gambling is considered a substance program and I am not eligible for this program. Inmates who have gone through this program have only a 9% recidivism rate compared to the general population who parole without this program who have a 75% recidivism rate. This program is needed throughout the California Prison System and would do wonders to relieve the overcrowding of the system. Based on the statistics represented yesterday, programs do work and punishment is only flawed.

Based on this program, the inmates will perform their normal fire camp duties, have an additional in-camp job such as cleaning the dining hall and have group therapy five nights a week. The counselor stated this is based on the Delancey Street Program which is a hard core treatment facility based in San Francisco and Los Angeles. They use a “tough love” program and go right to the core of the problem.

As the counselor spoke, my interest was raised along with many of the other students. However, not all of the students shared my enthusiasm. The counselor mentioned that the program would “change your life” and I certainly believed her because my life has changed for the better. Well, one student raised his hand and said, “Other than changing my life, I don’t see the incentive for enrolling in this program.” My jaw almost dropped to the ground and I almost fell over when I heard this comment. The student was dead serious and there was no hint of sarcasm in his voice! I am not sure what other incentive is needed if your life is changed for the better but this student didn’t see it this way. Upon further discussion, I found that this student has been incarcerated 5 times and with this attitude, he is well on his way to number 6. I guess the old adage of “You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink” is appropriate. Apparently, this inmate is not yet thirsty for recovery and I wish him the best without a program of recovery. The key to recovery is being ready because it will never work for someone who is unwilling to work the program. In Gamblers Anonymous there is a saying, “It works if you want it.” This is so true and those who don’t work it are missing something very special.

Towards the end of the dialogue with the counselor and students, the coach pulled me aside and asked if I was computer literate. When he asked me this, one of the other instructors overheard him and he saw me smile when the coach asked this question. This instructor who knows why I am here answered on my behalf, “He might be too computer literate,” and made other sarcastic comments.

After hearing this, I answered, “Yes, I am computer literate but I am not allowed to touch a computer while I am a prisoner of the California Department of Corrections.” The coach expressed that this was too bad because he needs a clerk and thought I would be perfect for it. In my defense, yes, I have computer related charges on my record; however, I used the computer much like a person who uses a pen to write bounced checks. I didn’t devise a computer program to skim money from my previous company, I used a computer to facilitate my crime, but the state of California treats me like a computer hacker. My computer skills are in no way advanced. I know my way around spreadsheets and other programs but I am at a loss to write code yet my bad reputation exceeds the truths.

A little after 9:00 am, the coach came out and informed everyone we were doing the test today. Oddly enough, I found myself very nervous and was hoping this was a good nervousness. After the calisthenics, power walking, and all the other tests – I had officially passed the Physical Fitness Training Program and it is on to the Firefighting Training Program in the next few weeks. Today puts me one step closer to my family and now I can breathe much easier once the test was complete. Now I wait to be called for the firefighting training program.

My biggest fear was that once I completed the PFT class I would no longer be an instructor. I was worried I would lose my Instruction position and would be placed into a very undesirable position while I wait for the firefighting training program. The coach alleviated my concerns because he reassigned me as an Instructor directly after the class was concluded.

Today was a very good day even though I was unable to spend the day with my son on his 6th birthday. I couldn’t call until 11:45 pm EST and both my wife and son were asleep. When I woke up my wife, she told me that they had a very good day and went out to dinner for his birthday and my daughter’s birthday with their two grandmothers’. My family is in a great place and I am forever thankful for all the love that has been bestowed upon everyone in my family.

Happy Birthday, Son!

No comments: