Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Waits Are Endless

I surprised my friend yesterday by asking him to run a mile. My friend has a problem regarding running the mile in the required 9 minutes so as the yard opened yesterday afternoon I more or less told him I would run the mile with him. I left him little opportunity to say no and he somewhat begrudgingly agreed. A 9 minute mile is the last exercise on the PFT test and many students have difficulty with this run. My friend falls in this category but with practice the run is really no big deal. We started the run and made the first lap in the required 3 minutes. However; shortly after this lap my friend started breathing very heavily. This happens to so many people when they run and the only remedy is to relax so I told my friend to relax. He did relax a little but halfway through the second lap he wanted to stop. I was not going to let him stop since he was right on pace for the 9 minute mile. When he informed me he was quitting I told him “oh no, you can do another lap.” Much to my surprise he did the next lap and finished the run in 8 minutes and 56 seconds. When I showed him the stopwatch with this time he was elated and now has confidence with the run. As we crossed the finish line he wanted to stop and basically sit down but I wouldn’t allow him as I told him to walk a lap. Amazingly he continued to follow my directions. This unexpected mile run proved to be very rewarding for both of us. The look of joy on his face as he saw the time on the stopwatch was indeed priceless. I was happy to help my friend and everything worked out well.

I was able to get in and out of the shower right before it was time to leave for dinner. Last night was one of the dinners I actually look forward to because it was once again Mexican night. As I reached the front of the line to receive my tray even the very nice C/O commented “at least this is a filling meal for you” I agreed with her and said “yes, it is one of the few where I can count on getting full.” I did receive two servings of Spanish rice and two servings of Mexican beans. The meal was indeed filling but certainly lacking in flavor.

Returning to the dorm from dinner meant I would be inside all night long. Having finished a book earlier in the day and knowing I will be starting the firefighting training program this week I was hesitant to start a new book. I had one local newspaper to read but this was missing an entire section on California and World News so I got through it rather quickly. I was waiting for “Heroes” to start and this being sweeps month (February) I knew it would be an interesting show. It was a very interesting show and I realized something as the show was airing and when it was over, even though 16 of my dorm mates watch the show no one discuss the content. I find myself asking open-ended questions to get a dialogue started but no one wants to engage in a conversation. The same thing happens when I lend out books to my dorm mates. They return me the books when they have read the books and all I get is “thanks”. No one ever comments on whether they enjoyed it or not. Once again I try to engage in a somewhat meaningful conversation but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

After “Heroes” I was up walking back to my bunk from the bathroom area and one of my dorm mates said to me “what are you doing up so late?” (It was after 10:00 pm). They were concerned because I am always in my bunk at this time. I assured them I was going to sleep right then and not to be concerned. I have established a regimented routine even my dorm mates are aware when I am awake too late.

This morning meant I had to dress in my “Oranges” in hopes of finally starting the firefighting training program. I sort of knew there was little chance the class would start but I still had to get dressed and go through the motions. I was up, dressed, and watching the local news by 6:00 am. Breakfast time is getting closer to normal since it was only a few minutes late this morning. At this point I went over to the gate and lined up for the FTP class. I was correct and my class did not meet today. I have surmised that the class won’t start until Thursday since all the classrooms are occupied and one will be available on Thursday.

It was sort of good the class didn’t meet because I received a ducat to see the Nurse in regards to the memo I sent to the doctor about the protein drinks. I am still somewhat wary of doing this but there is no turning back now. My appointment was for 9:30 am but since I was already out in the yard I showed up at 9:00 am. However; I didn’t get to see the nurse until 10:15 am. She explained to me tat only inmates with severe medical needs and severe weight loss can obtain the protein drinks now. I completely understand but this is not what is happening. The only reason I was singled out was because I was wearing my PFT Instructor uniform as was the other Instructor. Other inmates are receiving the protein drinks without interruption. I told her that the doctor told me to contact him if the protein drinks was cancelled, this is what I was doing. She then asked me if I wanted to see the doctor. Yes, I wanted to see the doctor but it really isn’t that simple. I don’t want anything interfering with the FTP class and a ducat to see the doctor could cause me to get kicked out of the class. The class does not meet on Mondays so I wanted to ensure the appointment was on a Monday. The nurse could not guarantee this but did note it on the chart she sent to the scheduler.

She did tell me that if the appointment to the doctor does conflict with the FTP class I could re-schedule the appointment without any problems. I took her word for this but I also had her write this down on both the note to the scheduler and the paperwork she gave me so I was covered. Yes, I am probably making a big deal about these protein drinks but now it is a matter of principle. It would be great to get in to see the doctor this Monday so there wouldn’t be a conflict, this is most likely wishful thinking but at least I think I covered myself properly if there is a conflict, only time will tell. Once again the waits are endless but it is all worth it.