Friday, February 23, 2007

Strip Shack

It was hard to believe how fast yesterday went by. It seems as if I was standing in the pouring rain waiting for the class to start and then it was time to head back to the yard. There is a downside to being outside the gates for the fire training. Not only was I drenched earlier in the day as well as extremely cold but I was subjected to the “strip shack.” This represents the reality of my situation in prison. Since we are outside the prison going on hikes in the mountains when we come back we must strip down before going back into the yard.

The “strip search” is an outdoor podium where several CO’s stand and inspect all the inmates as they arrive back inside the gates. The process is somewhat efficient as 9 inmates enter the podium and strip down while the CO’s go through out clothes for contraband. The air was quite cool – in the 40’s – and I actually felt better without my clothes than with my wet clothes on.

I almost had a very embarrassing moment yesterday as I was progressing through the “strip shack”. Inmates are required to wear only state issued clothing when going outside the gates which covers “all” clothing. Well, I was wearing state issued clothing with the exception of my underwear. About a week and a half ago, my white laundry bag did not come back from the laundry (for the third time). I had a difficult time rounding up the CO to give me the lost laundry slip. I finally got hold of him about a week later but the since the PFT class started I haven’t made my way over to laundry to receive new clothing. I only had one “state issued” underwear – boxers – and they were still drying as I departed to class yesterday so I wore my own. As I was stripping down the CO reminded me that only “state issued” clothing must be worn when going outside the gates and he also told me I could lose the personal underwear which means he would take them at this point. I did respond in a pleading tone letting him know I was unaware of this policy and it would never happen again. I guess the CO thought I was sincere or pathetic because he let me keep the underwear. If he took them, it could have been a very embarrassing situation for me!

Before entering the dorm, I found out that our dorm was searched earlier that morning and apparently after the CO’s didn’t find anything, they realized they were in the wrong dorm! They were supposed to go to the dorm next door. When I first heard about the search, my thoughts turned to my peanut butter stash and I wondered if it survived this search as it survived the previous searches. The unlock came and I went directly to my locker. I realized it was most definitely searched as all the items were out of place. The other day I had arranged everything in order. However, the peanut butter was still in my locker as was the lone cardboard shelf. I had to rearrange the items but nothing was missing even the banana was still there.

I decided to stay in and not go to dinner since the meal was pasta with meat sauce and it was still pouring outside. So, the rest of my evening consisted of studying and doing homework. I had to look up 122 fire terminology definitions. I could have obtained the answers but I wanted to do this right way and learn the material. I was second guessing myself as I spent over 3 hours completing the assignment but I felt good knowing I did it myself. In the process I was able to study for the quizzes since they were on terminology. I ended up going to sleep after 10:30 pm because of the lengthy homework.

The entire day yesterday went by so fast and as I laid in my bunk I was asleep within minutes. However, I woke up a few hours later shivering. It was very cold inside the dorm and the fan was even off. All of our heating ducts have been sealed off because there isn’t a way to control the temperature. Either it is very hot or very cold. Last night I had to add a second wool blanket and with this I was still cold. My goodness, I have no idea how I am going to live in a cold climate because with my thin blood and lack of body fat, I seem to be cold all the time. I guess if the Global Warming continues I won’t have to concern myself with living in a cold climate because all climates will be warm!

The only exciting thing which happened at breakfast was I had 2 bananas in my hat ready to take out of the dining hall but as soon as I saw the Sergeant standing to the exit, I quickly threw out the bananas. I really don’t make a good thief! (Hmm, maybe that’s why I am here) I walked up to the Sergeant to get my vegetarian lunch and he once again asked for my card. I quickly showed him my chrono and once again explained the whole card scenario. I’m not sure if I was rude ant this point but I did tell him it was okay and started to walk out of the dining hall. He said something, but I kept walking and I am really tired of the same old “card inquisition” and didn’t want to engage in any further conversations. He didn’t seem upset at all and hopefully the next time I see him he won’t ask me for the card. By the way, he never did search me for the bananas so I could have taken them, oh well!!!

The fire class started much like yesterday with a video but unlike yesterday, we were given the first quiz. It was 20 multiple choice questions all on fire terminology. These quizzes are very important because there are 18 students in the class but only 17 will be able to advance. One person will be eliminated because only 17 inmates fit in the fire vehicle which will transport us to the hiking trails on day five. The student with the lowest score on the quizzes will be eliminated and have to repeat the class. I’m not going to take anything for granted because I want to move on.

The quiz was given orally through a video which I believe is to eliminate any reading deficiencies that some of the inmates may have. The 20 questions were fairly basic but a few were worded a little tricky. There was only one question I was uncertain on and I changed my original answer. As it turns out my initial response was correct but since I changed it, I got it wrong. I was a little angry with myself because I did want 20 out of 20. I guess 19 out of 20 isn’t so bad but the highest score was 20 out of 20 and the lowest was 17 out of 20. The next test will be on Tuesday and I do believe someone will be eliminated on this and that someone won’t be me because this is too important for me to mess up on!

Day 2 of the class also went very quickly and from what I have observed life in a fire camp is very hard work. These projects range from painting community centers to clearing brush in the wildland. Whatever the project is, it is very labor intensive. This will be good for me because I need it. Also the work on the fire is basically digging, clearing, and cutting trees, brush, etc. We may get to run a hose line if it is a brush fire but for the most part I will be “digging ditches”

Not only will I receive 1/3 time for my duties at fire camp, I will be paid as well. Each day I am at fire camp I will earn $1.00 per day. However, when I go to a fire, I will earn $1.00 an hour from the time I leave the camp to the time I get back. Some very big wild land fires can take 2 to 3 weeks to control. I can be on the fire “campaign” for those weeks – sleeping, eating, fighting the fire the whole time in the wild land. Some inmates have earned $1500. to $2000. for a fire season. The math is easy: they spent 1500 to 2000 hours in fires for a few short months. I don’t like to speculate but with the lack of rain Southern and Northern California have received this past year, it could be a very long season. I do know that the next 12 months will be very interesting and will also fly by. I know it is going to be very hard work but this is certainly something I need and I do look forward to it very much.