Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day

The weirdness of yesterday continued as the afternoon yard was delayed because those inmates who have been on lockdown status for the past two weeks were allowed yard time during the lunch hour. I was wondering if these inmates were going to get some type of yard time since even prisoners in maximum security prisons receive at least 1 hour of outside time. Those inmates received a little over an hour; however, the yard time was limited to inmates on the upper tier. This meant my dorm mates who have been affected by this lockdown were unable to go outside. As I looked outside I was amazed as to how many inmates were affected by this lockdown and conceivably those outside only comprised of half the total affected. By the time this impromptu yard was closed and those inmates get back to the dorm, the afternoon yard was delayed about an hour. This hour delay was enough to cancel the PFT Plus class for the second time yesterday. The cancellation was just as well as I went directly to the pill call line which was rather short. I only had to wait 25 minutes (that represents a short wait) in order to receive the protein drinks. An odd event occurred as I received these drinks. The person handing them out was a C/O who has most likely been trained to dispense medication. As I received the drinks I noticed the C/O taking out a small white sheet of paper. On the paper he wrote my last name and checked some type of box on the paper. Then he folded it and slipped it into his shirt pocket. I found this rather unusual but I didn’t have the nerve to ask him what he was doing so I went about my business. I drank the drinks and went on to an afternoon exercise session.

Prior to exercising I was finally able to speak with my daughter and son. My friend had phone time yesterday afternoon and he only used a few minutes. I was able to use the rest of his phone time and speak with my family. I first spoke with my son who wasn’t fazed at the least that I didn’t speak with him on his birthday. He is such a great kid and told me he had a very good birthday. Then I spoke with my daughter and I apologized to her for not being able to speak with her on her birthday. She said, “That’s alright I understand.” She too is a wonderful child and I have been blessed with two outstanding children. Then my daughter told me all about her birthday and what a good time she had roller-skating with her friends. Finally I said good-bye to my daughter and she gave me kisses through the telephone and said, “I miss you sooooooo very much and can’t wait for you to come home.” I told her that I miss her as well and to take care of herself and I will see her soon. It was fabulous to talk with my children and I felt very good after speaking with them. I also spoke with my wife and then the time was up. This was an exceptionally good telephone call and I love speaking with my children.

I almost forgot to mention as I was speaking with my daughter she asked me “What’s a blog?” She wanted to know what it was because she always sees her mother typing it. I explained it to her this way; she has written a journal in the past and knows what a journal is so I told her a blog is the same thing as a journal but it is typed into the internet. She was satisfied with that explanation. My daughter has just turned 9 years old but she is very wise and not much gets past her. When I finally get back I look forward to having long very interesting conversations with my daughter which should be very educational for both of us.

The rest of the evening was spent back in the dorm on my bunk writing and listening to the radio. The few hours prior to my bed time went by very quickly. I also decided not to read, not for a particular reason - just to take a break. These days (even the weird ones) are still going by quickly and soon this phase of my sentence will be over. I was hoping for the ducat last night so I could progress through this phase but the ducat never came. The inmate did tell me it could arrive today and hopefully he was correct. Even thought it didn’t arrive I was not disappointed and fell asleep at my usual time of 10:00 pm.

I slept in until a little before 6:00 am and was hoping today was a normal - not weird day. Today is Valentine’s Day and I would like to wish everyone a very Happy Valentine’s Day. I won’t be cynical about this fabricated holiday (okay maybe a little cynical!) but it does mark yet another holiday that I won’t be with my family. The positive side about going through these holidays is when they are over and hopefully next Valentine’s Day I will be with my family. Obviously, this is a very unusual Holiday for me having spent the last 40 years in the free world - not that I am behind bars (so to speak). This is what it has become and will soon be over. I won’t lament; I will just move forward deeply embracing recovery which will afford me many more Valentine’s Days back in the free world.

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone.