Monday, November 21, 2005

Days

The days certainly do pass very quickly. Today was one of those days were it went by so fast it is hard to believe the day has come and gone. We (as a family) decided to see Chicken Little the movie and I decided we should take a ride to Hollywood to view it on the special Disney screen at the El Capitan Theater on Hollywood Boulevard. My mother-in-law (Grandma to my children) has never been to Los Angeles nor has she been to Hollywood. I thought it would be a good idea to take the whole family into Hollywood.

Sometimes with good intentions comes consequences. These consequences came in the form of traffic. We live about 90 miles from Hollywood and on a good day (which there never seems to be any in terms of TRAFFIC) it can take an hour and half. But on a bad day (which today was one) it can take up to 2 1/2 hours each way (which it did!). I thought we were going to miss the movie because we hit traffic in unexpected places and we spent 5 hours in a car today!! It really wasn't too bad; I was driving and I did realize how exhausting doing nothing but sitting in traffic can be. The children watched movies on the portable DVD which is a must on any car trip over one hour! Grandma sat in the back with the children and my wife took a nap. I know it could have been worse but the children were great as they usually are in car trips.

We did make the movie and it was more of a "movie" experience then going to the local cineplex. The theater was old and had charm; there was an organist; the characters of the movie came out and performed a dance and the feature was shown in 3-D. I am not sure if it was worth five hours in a car to see but everyone seemed to have a good time and my mother-in-law got to see the overrated part of Hollywood. Actually come to think of it most of Hollywood is overrated even the million dollar homes in the Hills are overrated because they are small and old. However; some of Hollywood has character or shall I say a sense of history.

I was thinking (which usually gets me into trouble!) as we drove around Hollywood that I was there 22 years ago as a student at the University of Southern California. I spent two non-consecutive semesters there which is another story for another time. I saw the movie Scarface at Grauman's Chinese Theater which was right across the street from where we saw the movie today. I saw this movie in 1983 and not much has changed in those 22 years. I can't believe I have memories from 22 years ago; I guess I AM getting old. I remember seeing Scarface like it was yesterday and how unimpressed I was with the historic theater.

I think we all remember Scarface the movie because of the violence but the memory I have is of the movie theater itself not the movie. I thought the area was dirty and a bit seedy. They have cleaned it up in the 22 years but it really isn't anything impressive in my opinion. I was very happy to bring my children the experience of seeing a movie in Hollywood but I wouldn't make a habit of it especially if I have to spend five hours in a car!!

Time does move by quickly and yes, I have more memories from 30 plus years ago but today is what's most important to me. Today there was no gambling, no thinking of gambling and no conspiring to gamble. It was a day spent with my family and it was a great day. Yes, it has taken me a long time to figure out what is most important but I think I am starting to understand and I thank God for this understanding because without his presence and the presence of my family I am nothing.

No comments: