Sunday, November 13, 2005

Sociable

It seems lately we as a family or more so myself have become more sociable than ever before. Last night we were invited over to another Gamblers Anonymous Member's home for a little get together. Our kids joined their children and there was another member and their wife present as well. It was a wonderful evening. We talked, drank wine, talked some more, ate some wonder appetizers and the children played very nicely with one another.

In the past few months we have been invited over to more people's houses than the previous four years combined when I was working. Is this a coincidence? I think not; the people in Gamblers Anonymous are fabulous and have impressed me so much in these past 8 1/2 months. The love and caring is tremendous; this is another one of the blessings in my life.

"There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way," this is a quote I heard earlier today and it speaks volumes to me. Many people go through life miserable and blame everything on everyone. I have not been one of these people but I never fully embraced life until 8 1/2 months ago. Happiness is certainly the way because how is being miserable going to help any situation. There is a great deal more happiness in my life than misery and in fact my life has been filled with happiness. Yet I chose not to embrace this happiness for so many years now I am embracing it each and every day.

"It is better to be kind than right," I think that is how the quote from Gandhi is stated? Again, I was never a I must be right on any issue type of person but I never really thought about this concept. A member at tonight's GA meeting stated this quote and it made me realize something about myself. I like helping people and I have always liked helping people which to me meant being kind; however; I never really understood how to help myself.

While I was helping others and being kind to them I neglected myself. I needed help but failed to realize this for such a long period of time. However; I finally realized I needed help and found out how kind and generous people can be. Without this kindness, generosity, caring and love I would have never looked into myself with honesty. This honesty is an awakening and life is a blessing one day at a time. I thank God each and every day for all of the kind, caring, considerate and loving people in my life.

No comments: