Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Parent Teacher Conference

Yesterday I had the fortune of accompany my wife to my daughter's first parent teacher conference for the second grade. All of the words spoken by my daughter's teacher about my daughter were outstanding. Here are examples of some of the words; "I never have any problems with your daughter," "she is a role model for the other children," and "her reading skills are approaching year end grade levels". They were words every parent wants to hear about their child. This little blessing is turning out to be a great person and I am so proud of her.

As I sat in the conference and listened to all of these positive statements about my daughter I felt so warm inside to know my daughter is moving in the right direction. I was not surprised by any of the words but it was so nice to have confirmation from someone outside the family at how good a person my daughter has turned out to be.

With all of these positive words I do have a concern. I know I will be going away in the near future for an unspecified period of time due to my transgressions. I need to ensure my daughter and son continues their exemplary behavior. I know it will have an effect on them by me not being around for whatever period of time the Judge decides but I want them to know I love them and will always love them.

What Daddy did was caused by a sickness and Daddy is taking his medicine to get better. Part of this medicine will require Daddy to go away so he can get better. I will tell my daughter when the time comes what I did and I will not hold anything back from her. She needs to know the truth and what I am doing to ensure this never happens again. People do make mistakes but sometimes when you make big mistakes there is a punishment and this punishment is there to deter others from doing the same things. I know my son will not fully understand but when he is old enough I will explain it to him as well.

What I have done has hurt my family tremendously but I am learning to be a better person, a better husband and father. I will continue on my road to recovery one day at a time. The future is still uncertain but I like the progress I have had made in the past 8 1/2 months which makes each day worth living.

No comments: