Friday, November 04, 2005

A Few Degrees of separation

Thank you to everyone who has expressed their concerns over yesterday's blog. Each day I am amazed at how many outstanding people are involved in my life. I am a truly blessed person. I appreciate everything everyone has done for me and I especially appreciate your thoughts and prayers. As I referred in the posting yesterday; this entire situation has been self-inflicted and I am the only one to blame for it. With that said I cannot continue to blame myself for the past. I must put it in its proper place and move on. I am moving on and learning each and every day. I will never forget what I have done to my family but I need to continue to be the person I am capable of being and I will be this person each and every day.

Today was an interesting day; a fellow Gamblers Anonymous member was kind enough to invite me to a Golf Tournament for the benefit of dogs who assist disabled persons. It truly is a worthy cause. These dogs help disable people cope with their every day lives and are truly remarkable canines. I have played in many golf tournaments in the past mostly through my previous employer and each tournament was always a good time. Today even though my foursome (golf term for people who I played golf with) was very new to me the day was fantastic and we had a great time playing a round of golf for a worthy cause.

We were actually only a threesome because our fourth person did not show. Our fourth person was supposed to be Kevin Dobson from Knots Landing and Kojak fame. When I walked up to the golf cart and saw the player's names I was scheduled to play with this name of Kevin Dobson sounded familiar. I asked my playing part who is this person and he told me Kevin is an actor and played on Knots Landing and Kojak television programs.

The name also sounded very familiar for some other reason and I remembered why. In 1978 Mr. Dobson presented my Father with an award given to Firefighters who exhibited bravery and courage in the line of duty. I was 12 years old at the time and I remember my father receiving this award and getting an autographed poster of Mr. Dobson. Here it is 27 years later and I had a chance to play golf with this same person 3,000 miles away from where he presented my father with the award. It certainly is a small world.

Unfortunately Mr. Dobson could not make it due to a schedule mix up but my playing partner did call him and mention the award he had given to my Dad. Much to Mr. Dobson credit he did remember giving the award to my father some 27 years ago. I guess all of us human beings have very few degrees of separation because you never know who you may meet next and who they know in your life. Life is very fascinating and I am thankful for all of those blessings that have been bestowed upon me by God. I am thankful for everything and everyone in my life.

No comments: