Friday, February 03, 2006

Dear Gambling

Today the story hit the local newspaper and there was also a small write up in the Los Angeles Times. Here is the link to the story in the local newspaper; I find the article interesting.

I am currently helping a friend of mine who is treating some people with their compulsive gambling addiction at a local out patient treatment facility. Part of the treatment includes a goodbye letter to gambling and I wanted to include my letter here;

Dear Mistress Gambling,

We have known each other a very long time. The first time you came into my life I was 12 years old and felt a pang in my stomach as I made my first wager at the racetrack. I didn’t think much of that pang until years later but that was our first introduction. Four years later you came into my life with full force and even though that first evening was rather horrendous losing all five NBA basketball games I fell head over heals for you. Over the course of the next two years we had some fun but it ended in misery.

My life at 18 years old was a mess but I wasn’t ready to say good-bye to you because I didn’t realize how much you had affected my life. We said so long for the next four years but during those four years you briefly appeared back into my life with the lure of the seduction. Toward the end of those four years you came back into my life and showed me great promise.

Although it did start out as great promise and I thought I was smarter and would “control” you; you ended up making my life miserable once again after a five year courtship. This courtship ended in another separation because I wasn’t ready to divorce you just yet but just like the first time my life became miserable because of the things I allowed you to do to me.

Life was getting better and I tried to avoid you at all costs even though you tempted me several times. Finally after another 5 years of totally avoiding you I gave in because I knew I could “control” you this time. I was a smart man and I could “control” everything in my life. I was dead wrong because you controlled me just like you have done in the past. The relationship was hot and heavy but again it ended in total misery.

I want you out of my life for good because nothing positive has happened with you in my life. Good has only happened when you have NOT been a part of my life. I have experienced life without you for the past 11 months and I really enjoy it. I don’t miss your temptations, seductions and I am tired of chasing you. The chasing never ended when you were in my life. Now that you are out of my life I don’t have to chase anymore.

There is so much more to life without you interfering and besides that I have no power over you. I have given up my power to you to something greater than me God. God has shown me there are more things in life other than you and all of these things add goodness to my life you have only added badness. You are no longer a part of my life and I know God will give me the strength to deal with anything you throw my way. I know you fairly well and I know you want give up without a fight. You will try things that I haven’t seen but I have been given the tools to deal with anything you do throw my way.

I know if I fall for your old and possibly new tricks my life will be over. I will not fall for these tricks because my Higher Power God will guide me through your pitfalls and seductions. You will not win the battle for my soul; you have had my soul for so long and now I want it back. I know I can’t do this myself and need help in battling you and I have found this help. As long as I continue applying these techniques in my daily affairs our relationship is over.

Good-bye old nemesis and remember I have a lot of help that will assist me when you try to come back into my life.

No comments: