Tuesday, February 07, 2006

What Happened?

Yes, today was a court day and these days are winding down to a close. I have made an arrangement with my attorney so he can call me to come down to the courthouse when my case is called because it is so close. Otherwise I would be waiting for hours down at the courthouse with nothing to do. We have had this arrangement for sometime and today was the first I didn't have to come in the morning.

I received a phone call from my attorney's secretary and she told me to come to the courthouse at 1:30 this afternoon. My wife and I went down to the courthouse at this time but for some reason the Assistant District Attorney was not in the courtroom. This is very unusual because he is ALWAYS in the courtroom waiting for my case to be called. The ADA finally made it to the courtroom at 2:00 and my attorney put my case on the docket. At about 2:30 the Judge called for a break and seemed to leave the courtroom abruptly and I was the next case to be called. At 3:00 another Judge entered the courtroom and instantaneously I knew nothing was going to happen today because this Judge had no idea what was happening in my case.

I was supposed to hear the Judge's decision as to how my house is going to be sold but this will have to wait for another two weeks. Also; by law I can ask for sentencing at anytime because of my guilty plea last week and the substitute Judge had asked me if I wanted sentencing now. I want this to be over so I can start serving whatever time the Judge deems necessary so I can be back in my family's life sooner as opposed to later. However; asking this substitute Judge to render a sentence on me based on a file sitting in front of her would have been a huge risk so I respectfully waived my right for sentencing today. I can ask for sentencing in two weeks but my attorney is not prepared; it will happen sometime in late March.

I did find out that once sentencing is announced I will be taken directly into custody. Which was somewhat of a surprise to me because as I have sat in the courtroom for the past year and had seen a few sentences rendered I did not see one person get taken into custody right away. All of these people were given at last a week and one was given a month to get their affairs in order before they were to report to the detention facility. However; my attorney advised me that I would be taken into custody right away. I don't know why my case would be special since the Judge did state on record that I am NOT a flight risk nor a danger to the community. At least I know what to expect so I will be mentally prepared.

The night before my sentencing I will tell my children and I am most concerned with how my daughter will take the news. My son who is turns 5 tomorrow really won't understand and I am sure he will miss me but he will be fine. My daughter who will turn 8 on Saturday will have a great many questions and I have what I would like to tell her already formulated in my head. The time that I will be sentenced to prison will go by no matter what and of course I am so sorry to have done this to my family but I cannot change the past I can only deal with today. When the time comes to tell my children I know I will be extremely sad as I am now when I think about it and I am sure my daughter will be sad as well but I am not going away forever and I will be back. When I do get out I will continue to be a part of my family's lives for a very long time and I will be a better person for it.

Even though I am no longer a Secretary in the Gamblers Anonymous meeting I attended the monthly business meeting of the Program as a favor to two of our Secretaries. These two people couldn't make it and I took their place. I am so honored to be a part of such a phenomenal Program and tonight may have been my last business meeting in GA for the near future but I know I will be back in some capacity or another. Even if it is with another GA Group I intend to be a part of this Program for my lifetime because it has given me back my life. I know it is a one day at time Program and I should not project; however; this Program has given me the strength and hope to deal with my compulsive gambling addiction, I can't envision my life without it. I have met so many warm, kind, loving and truly incredible people through this Program and my life is so much better because of it.

One part of the meeting we discuss any upcoming birthdays and as my sponsor went down the list we came across my birthday. Yes, it will be one year February 28th and I will have the honor and the privilege to celebrate this one year milestone with two other people in the Program who are dear friends on March 18th. These two other friends will also be celebrating their one year birthday. This will be a very special celebration because in the one year I have been in the Program our group has never celebrated three people at the same time. I am so very proud to be in the company of my two friends and it should be a very special day.

No comments: