Sunday, February 12, 2006

Topic; Friends

The Gamblers Anonymous "A Day at a Time" daily reflection book has as a topic for today; friends. I have certainly found the meaning of friends as it applies to me. In the past I thought I had friends but what I have learned that many of these "friends" were just mere acquaintances. Many of these acquaintances I will never speak to again. However; as I have gone through this last year I have made and rediscovered some true friends. People who do not judge who genuinely care for me as a person.

Last night as I was getting the pizza for my daughter's birthday slumber party (eight seven and eight year old girls spending the night) from our local pizza restaurant I discovered a new found friend. Actually these are people who have been friends but I neglected them for fear of rejection. I had met the owners of this restaurant four years ago through my previous work. I had helped them with some restaurant equipment as they were getting their business off the ground. I also had them cater last years Christmas Lunch at my previous employer. These are very good people; however; I didn't know how to handle my situation and I avoided them for the past year.

As my wife called the pizza order in she spoke with one of the owners and they had told her they heard about my situation and were truly sorry. I went to pick up the pizza and I had a lengthy discussion with the two owners (husband and wife). They were unbelievably sympathetic and genuinely concerned with me and my family. Also, they personally knew someone who had gone through the same situation I am going through and for the same reasons; compulsive gambling. They were very good friends with this lady and her story is extremely sad. This lady was sentenced to four years in state prison and even though this was her first time offense she is doing time at a maximum security prison. I didn't get all the particulars but this lady's case and my case are eerily similar. There are a few exceptions but some very distinct similarities.

We talked for awhile but I had to get the pizza back to the slumber (I don't know why they call it a "slumber" party because no one sleeps!) party and they had to get back to the restaurant. We said our parting words and their words were very encouraging; they said everyone makes mistakes; we are all human and I had been very good to them over the years and they wouldn't forget that. I was so encouraged by these words and I am truly blessed to have these special friends in my life.

I got back to the house and delivered the pizza to the girls and had to get my five year old son out of the house. I was taking him over to another wonderful friend's house to spend the evening. I wound up staying a little too long talking with these very dear friends that I missed my daughter's birthday cake celebration. I know my daughter was okay with it because she was distracted by her friends but my wife was a little upset. It was my fault and I should have been there for the singing of "Happy Birthday" to my daughter. I apologized to my wife and daughter. I would like to have said I will be there next year but there really is no guarantee of that but I enjoyed the limited time I spent at the slumber party. My wife did a fantastic job with the party and even though my wife and the girls got a limited amount of sleep the party went very well.

I am taking pride in learning something each and every day. Today I have learned and will continue to learn the real value of friends. I have some very special people in my life who have been there for a very long time and I have some very special people in my life who have been there for a short period of time but each one of them are true friends. True friends do not judge they stand by their friends through thick and thin. I just hope I can be as good a friend to each of these people as they have been for me.

No comments: