Thursday, February 23, 2006

Twelve Step Prayers

In the Gamblers Anonymous Program there is a road map to a successful recovery which is appropriately called the Twelve Steps of Recovery. I try to apply all of these steps in my daily affairs and the other day I was given the Twelve Step Prayers. I wanted to pass this on because I think these prayers are fantastic. If anyone needs reference to the Twelve Steps of Recovery in the Gamblers Anonymous Program please click here. Here are the Twelve Step Prayers;

12 STEP PRAYERS


First Step Prayer

Today I ask for help with my addiction, Denial has kept me from seeing how
Powerless I am and how my life is unmanageable.
I need to learn and remember I have an incurable illness and that
Abstinence is the ONLY way to deal with it.

Second Step Prayer

I pray for an open mind so I may come to
Believe in a Power greater than myself.
I pray for humility and the continued
Opportunity to increase my faith
I don’t want to be crazy anymore.

Third Step Prayer

God, I offer myself to Thee
To build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt.
Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do thy will.
Take away my difficulties that victory over them may bear
Witness to those I would help of Thy Power.

Fourth Step Prayer

Dear God, It is I who have made my life a mess.
I have done it but I cannot undo it.
My mistakes are mine and I will begin a searching
And Fearless moral inventory. I will write down my wrongs,
But I will also include that which is good.
I pray for strength to complete the task.

Fifth Step Prayer

Higher Power, my inventory has shown me who I am
Yet I ask for your help in admitting my wrongs to
Another person for you. Assure me and be with me
In this step, for without this step I cannot progress in my
Recovery. With your help, I can do this, and I do it.

Sixth Step Prayer

Dear God, I am ready for your help in removing
From me the defects of character which I now realize
Are an obstacle to my recovery. Help me to continue
Being honest with myself and guide me toward
Spiritual and mental health.

Seventh Step Prayer

My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all
Of me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me
Every single defect of character which stand in the way of
My usefulness to you and my fellow. Grant me strength
As I go out from her to do your bidding. Amen.

Eighth Step Prayer

Higher Power, I ask your helping making my list of all those I have harmed.
I will take responsibility for my mistakes, and be forgiving to others.
As you are forgiving to me. Grant me the willingness
To begin my restitution. This I pray.

Ninth Step Prayer

Higher Power, I pray for the right attitude to make my amends,
Being ever mindful not to harm others in the process.
I ask for guidance in making indirect amends. Most important
I will continue to make amends by staying abstinent,
Helping others and growing in spiritual progress.

Tenth Step Prayer


I pray I am continue to grow in understanding and effectiveness,
To take daily spot check inventories of myself. To correct myself
When I make them. To take responsibility for my actions. To be every aware of my
Negative and self-defeating attitudes and behaviors. To keep my willingness in check.
To always remember I need your help. To keep Love and tolerance of others as my code.
And, to continue in daily prayer how I can best serve you, my Higher Power.

Eleventh Step Prayer

Higher Power, as I understand you I pray to keep my connection with you
Open and clear from confusion of daily life. Through my prayers and
Meditation I ask especially for freedom from self-will, rationalization
And wishful thinking. I pray for the guidance of correct thought and
Positive action. Your will, Higher Power, not mine be done.

Twelfth Step Prayer

Dear God, my spiritual awakening continues to unfold.
The help I have received I shall pass on and give to others.
Both in and out of the Fellowship. For this opportunity I am grateful.
I pray most humbly to continue walking day by day on the road of
Spiritual progress. I pray for inner strength and wisdom to practice.
The principles of this way of life in all I do and say. I need you, my friends
And the Program every hour of every day. This is a better way to live.

I will comment on these prayers at a later time because I need to time to fully understand the meaning of each and every prayer.

Also I would be remiss if I didn't congratulate my dear friend from the Great White North; Anne. CONGRATULATIONS; I love you very much and I know you have waited for this day for what may have seemed like an eternity but you made it. God is great and life is wonderful; I hope you and Dan have a very special evening. You are my inspiration and thank you for being my friend. Way to go girl!!!!

No comments: