Sunday, February 19, 2006

Fellowship of Love

Grandma is here which means we as a family do more "stuff" than normal. Yesterday we had a great day at the Science Museum in San Diego. One of the positives of where we live in Southern California is the close and yet far enough away proximity to many culture type events. We live approximately one hour from San Diego and an hour and half from Los Angeles. We are far enough away to not have the hustle and bustle of the larger cities yet close enough to enjoy a day trip to each of these destinations. I also must state that when we moved here four and half years ago there was certainly less "hustle and bustle" than there is now but it is still a great place to live.

I know I threw all of this away when I let my gambling addiction take hold of my life but I do enjoy where we live albeit temporary. We had a great day at the science museum and the children along with grandma enjoyed themselves very much. We were able to see a movie about a young boy from India who embarked on an eight year eight thousand mile journey across India. The movie was displayed in an IMAX theater and if you have never experienced IMAX I highly suggest finding one in your area. It is as if you are actually in the movie because the movie is displayed in a 360 degree format.

I was a little tired so I closed my eyes for the first five minutes of the movie but I was very impressed with the film. The film was about a young boy at age 11 who embarked on this journey by himself. He was a Yogi (a markedly reflective or mystical person) who was on a spiritual journey. It was a remarkable journey because as he walked all alone through India from the age of 11 to 18 he was not alone. He was in tune with his spirit and with this he shared his experiences with anyone he encountered on this journey.

As I watched this film about this young man I thought about the Gamblers Anonymous Program. To me the GA Program is a spiritual journey which has gotten my life back together and as long as I continue in this Program life will continue to grow richer and richer. As this young man walked through the country side and encountered lions and frigid temperatures he was one with himself with nature.

One year ago spirituality was a foreign concept to me. I had no idea what spirituality had meant until I committed myself to the GA Program. The GA Program is not a religious program it is a spiritual program. It took me a few months to understand this concept and develop my Higher Power. I choose to call my Higher Power God but it is not he or she; it is not allied with any sect, denomination or religion. It is a spiritual being who is loving, caring, forgiving and does not judge. The young man in this movie was all of these things and he was in tune with his Higher Power. The young man went about his business and was so at peace with himself. I strive for this inner peace each and every day. I am getting better but I have a long way to go.

I know I am so much better off today than I was over one year ago and I have learned and continue to learn with some valuable tools to find this inner peace. I was mesmerized by the inner peace the young boy had in the movie and with all the tools I have at my disposal there is no reason I cannot attain this inner peace if I continue applying these tools to my everyday life.

In the past I might have not given this movie a second thought but life has a whole new meaning to me and it is a meaning of goodness. My life is filled with goodness and this goodness comes in many shapes and sizes. One of the great things in my life is the Fellowship I have found in the GA Program. Without this fellowship I would have been completely and utterly lost. There is so much love in this fellowship and I am grateful for each and every person that comes into the rooms of GA. This Program does work for me because I am committed to my recovery from this insidious addiction. I know I can never be cured but I do like the fringe benefits this Program has given me most notably my life.

My mom was able to attend tonight's GA meeting and this meeting was filled with love. These are truly great people with an awful addiction that are doing something about it. A few months ago I received an email from a friend of mine who is battling their own gambling addiction. This friend stated that they did not need a room to tell them they had a problem with gambling. I do not view GA as this in fact; it is a Program where I can receive help for my problem and give me some very valuable tools to deal with this addiction. I know 12 step programs are not for everyone but this 12 step program is working very well for me and I am so happy to be involved with such fantastic Program with fabulous people.

No comments: