Wednesday, August 10, 2005

First Day of School

Didn't I just write "Last Day of School"?? My oh my how the summer has flown by. Both of my children started school today. My daughter started second grade with her very pregnant and very young teacher. She is due in a few weeks and she will transition the students to a long term substitute. We have heard the substitute is very good as is the very pregnant teacher. Yes, she looked so young but this only means I am getting older (in two weeks I will be 40 but this is a story for another day!!). My daughter had a very good first day of school and she knew 5 other students in her class. Two of the students she knew were from her first grade class and the other 3 were friends from the neighborhood. One of the students she knows from her 1st grade class has another connection and it is one of irony. I will not go into at this time but someone has a sense of humor. I think this is someone in the fate and irony school. My daughter did miss her 1st grade teacher because (as I have written before) her 1st grade teacher is one of those teachers you remember forever she is that good!!

My son started a new pre-school today and it appears to be a very good program. We were able to get him into the state (California) funded pre-school and it is a kindergarten readiness class. He is in a classroom as if he were in kindergarten and the teachers will be preparing the students for kindergarten. My son has gone to pre-school for 2 years and we really liked the pre-school; however; we felt like he needed more structure. His previous pre-school was in a house and the lead (owner) teacher was very nice and giving but it is not like a kindergarten class. I think this pre-school (the one we enrolled him in) will be a great transition for him into kindergarten.

My wife and I went in for the three hour orientation along with our son and the rest of his classmates. The teachers had the children play outside while the Director of the program explained how the program works and what is expected of the child and parents. The children were outside for an hour and when they came back in I was curious to see if my son had made a friend. Sure enough he had made a friend and it was as if they had known each other their entire four years of existence. Even one of the teachers asked us if the two boys were neighborhood or family friends before entering the pre-school. No, they had met just this morning. I was so happy to see my son interacting with his new friend and the other children in his class. He is a very good boy and he listened to the teachers.

My son is definitely a follower not a leader. This is fine with me because everyone cannot be a leader. I just hope my son follows the "right" people because my wife and I can give him all the guidance in the world but when he enters school and is out on his own his friends will have a big influence on him. This is why it is so vital we monitor his friend activities. I am not saying we are going to stop him from being friends with anyone but we have to be involved in his activities. Whereas my daughter is neither a leader nor a follower she sort of makes her own way. She makes very good decisions and does very well on her own. She is 7 years old and plays in her room alone for hours listening to music and playing with her dolls. She is so happy with this time and she really hates when her little brother comes into her room. Of course her little brother being the follower that he is wants to play with his big sister but big sister will have none of this. It is amazing how two people with the same genetic make-up could have such different personalities. Thank goodness both of their personalities are very good in different ways.

I am truly blessed with these two children and this is a testament in how my wife has raised these children. I will say it again I am truly blessed with my entire family.

No comments: