Monday, August 29, 2005

Innocence of Children

As I dropped my son off at his pre-school I noticed how well the children played together. It is remarkable how well they all play together. Children do not see the ethnic backgrounds in the other children they just want to have a good time. Children are not prejudice in any way shape or form this is a learned behavior and it is learned from their parents. The innocence in children is so pure it makes my heart warm. Unfortunately something happens as we grow older and prejudices creeps into our judgment. Why can't we as adults see things through the eyes of a child; I believe if we did this the world would be a much happier place.

My son's newly anointed best friend at his pre-school has decided to attend another pre-school closer to his house making the trip more convenient for his mother. She was very sad to take her son out of the pre-school because he got along so well with my son but it only makes sense and guess what children are also very resilient. They bounce back from anything. As I picked up my son this afternoon he introduced me to his new best friend. Yes, it was sad to see his previous best friend change schools; however; my son did not miss a beat and now has replaced his best friend with someone else. Oh the eyes of a child!!!

Now that my mind has cleared I am starting to see things and be aware of so much more. I always thought I was an attentive father and husband but I was fooling myself. My mind was so foggy and this fog is starting to lift. There is so much to learn in life and I am learning more and more each day. This fog was caused by my inability to admit I have a problem. Once I admitted I had a problem the fog started to lift and as each day progresses and my life is filled with a purpose the fog gets less and less. I really took my children and my wife for granted for so long and now I fully understand what unconditional love is.

This afternoon I had lunch with a new friend. One of the many positives of my situation is I get to meet so many different people. I have only known this person for six months but I would consider them a good friend. We do share a common bond the inability to control our gambling and we do have many other things in common. I am so very happy to have met this person. They were kind enough to treat me to lunch and we talked for a long time. Through every adverse situation comes positive attributes and these positives attributes must be embraced. By emphasizing the positive the negatives become tolerable because no matter how bad life seems there is always something positive to hold on to. I am embracing these positives because they continue to fill my life.

No comments: