Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Anonymity

Staying with yesterday's theme and also the topic of yesterday's Gamblers Anonymous meeting I would like to write about anonymity. Step 12 of the Unity Program reads; Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of the Gamblers Anonymous Program, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities. I highlighted anonymity and spiritual for a reason; how can being anonymous be spiritual? To me having a place to go where you are anonymous and everyone treats you just like everyone else is spiritual in and of itself. I have derived my spirituality from this Program and although my anonymity has been less than stellar I understand the principles of the Program very well.

In the past one of my faults was anonymity. I relished in the anonymity of the internet and how I could place sports wagers without anyone knowing it. This anonymity was part of my undoing and now I seek to rid myself of this non-spiritual anonymity.

I believe a big part of me telling my story to various different media outlets is also part of my recovery. The more people I tell the less likely I am to go back to my old ways of sneaking and lying. I want to be up front with everything this is why I am trying to give back to the Program by reciting my story time and time again.

The spirituality of the Program has taken a little while for me to understand and slowly but surely I have come to know what spirituality means to me. I understand most people when they come to GA they come for one devastating reason or another. They don't want anyone to recognize them and they don't want their story being recited by any other members. This is why we have the creed "Who you see here, What you hear here, When you leave here, Let it stay here." What is said in the room stays in the room and this is very important to the Program. I may right about topics or something that is said at a meeting that hits home to me but I will never right the name of the person who said it. This is a core principle of the Program and I would not take away in any way shape or form from the Program.

My anonymity may have been broken when I mentioned the words Gamblers Anonymous in the article I did in Sunday's newspaper but I was not representing GA in any way. I speak for myself. GA has no representative and does not take a stand on any issues. The foundation of GA is to carry its message to the compulsive gambler who still suffers. This is what I want to do and I believe by me telling my story it serves a purpose. It was a terrible lesson to learn but some good has come out of the bad I have done. I have met some wonderful people and no matter what happens in the next few weeks I have a great foundation to build upon. I am grateful for making my last bet some 13 months ago today.

No comments: