Monday, March 27, 2006

My Mistake

Step Ten in the Gamblers Anonymous Recovery Program states; "Continued to take personal inventory and when we wrong, promptly admitted it." I was wrong when I did the interview with the local newspaper by mentioning my full name and Gamblers Anonymous. I made the mistake and I apologize. In all of the interviews I have done I was very careful not to mention Gamblers Anonymous when using my full name but not this past interview. I don't know why I completely forgot one of the Unity Steps which states; (Unity Step 11); "Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, films and television". I screwed up and I apologize.

I was approached by a few long standing GA members and they were extremely forgiving with me. We talked about the interview and they wanted to know if it was me or the reporter who used the term Gamblers Anonymous and I told them it was me and it was my mistake. All of them told me that it was no big deal and complimented me on doing the interview. I know it may be a big deal to some but a very long standing member told me to not worry about it and in six months from now no one will remember and the simple fact that the article may help someone is what matter most.

Even when I screw up the Program comes to my rescue. These are great people and see that everyone is a human being. All human beings make mistakes and we as a species are very fallible. I am so blessed to be involved with such a fantastic group of people; it really has saved my life.

Much to my surprise the article appeared on the front page of the Sunday edition with the title "Secret Addiction". Along with the article appearing on the front page was the awful picture which looks as if I have huge feet. I don't have huge feet (size 10--average) it was just the angle of the picture. My foot was out of proportion with my body and it looked like I had a pin-sized head. At least the focus was away from my nose this time!!! In all seriousness I was very pleased with the article and I thought it was well written. Also judging by the two comments which were posted on the newspaper's website it appears other people felt this was a good article as well. Hopefully one person will seek help with their "secret addiction" by reading this story because that was my intention to reach out to one person.

We celebrated another one year birthday in the GA meeting last night which makes 6 one year birthdays in the last month. It really is amazing how six strangers entered a room last year looking for a Program to help us stop gambling. All six of us have taken to the Program and it really does work if you work at it. Last night was a celebration because just like the previous celebrations it was evening filled with love and genuine affection. Even though all six of us who entered the room one year ago came in with different gambling vices and different levels of problems the underlying meaning was the same; gambling controlled our lives and it became unamanageable.

I know for myself this was certainly the case and in the past almost 13 months my true self has emerged. I know longer lie for the sake of lying. I find honesty a more simple solution to my problems. In the past the lies and deceit took over and it was very difficult to tell which end was up. Now the right end is the only end which is up because I strive for honesty and integrity each and everyday.

Focusing on the life is certainly not fair department; a very dear friend of mine recently got laid off from a job that they really enjoyed and thought everything was going great. I do know everything happens for a reason and I am sure my Higher Power has a plan for this dear friend because they are one of the nicest, most compassionate and humble persons I have ever been acquainted with. They took the news very hard but they understand life will continue to move forward in a positive manner as long as the principles of the GA Program are followed. This person lives and breathes the GA Program and I know my life has been forever changed in a positive manner because of this person. I know things will workout because good things happen to good people and this person is a great person and I expect great things to have for this dear friend.

No comments: