Saturday, March 04, 2006

Step Three

Fifty-two weeks have passed since my very first Saturday morning Gamblers Anonymous meeting and what a difference fifty-two weeks make. I had the honor and privilege of being the Secretary this morning because our regular Secretary was out of town and I told them I would be happy to set-up the room and bring the materials to the meeting. Last year at this time my life was completely upside down due to my actions and now one year later my life is still upside down but in a very good way. It is upside down because the life I have known for so very long is gone which makes me very happy.

I was able to spend two hours this morning participating in a Program that has saved my life and I am forever grateful. I do love this Program and one year ago I had no idea what it was all about. Now I understand the Program and my fellow members and I am so glad I made the decision to get help with my compulsive gambling addiction.

Part of the Program is the 12 Steps of Recovery and I have documented the first two steps and would like to document the third step; Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of this Power of our own understanding. In the first step I admitted I was powerless to gambling and my life had become unmanageable. In the second step I came to believe that a Power greater than myself could restore me to sanity. Now I have made a decision to turn my will and my life over to a Higher Power.

I choose to call my Higher Power "God" but it is not in a religious sense it is in a spiritual sense. My Higher Power is not related to any religion, denomination or sect. My Higher Power does not discriminate. My Higher Power is loving, caring, forgiving and is there at all times. My Higher Power is not male or female it is a spirit which lives in my world. My Higher Power listens and does not judge.

In the past year and even today my life has a great deal of uncertainty but I look to my Higher Power to deliver me to a serene contented life and it has worked each and every time. I am honest, open and willing with my Higher Power and my higher power also shares these three characteristics. My Higher Power has not only delivered me to a serene contented way of life it has saved my life. Without a Higher Power in my life I would go back to my old ways and my old ways would lead to death and destruction. Now there is life and I am developing into a person with character.

My self-will is gone and my will has been turned over to my Higher Power. My Higher Power will guide me into a sane world not the insanity I have lived with for so long. I cannot control everything in my life I can only control my thoughts and with my Higher Power these thoughts are positive and with a purpose. The roadblocks of the past are gone as long as I have my Higher Power in my life and my life has gotten so much better each and every day.

Finally, with my Higher Power in my life I truly understand the meaning of the Serenity Prayer; God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference. I have recited this prayer countless times in the past year because I know I can change myself but I cannot change so many other things and my Higher Power has given me the strength to know the difference. Life is so much better when I don't have to solely rely on myself. I have so many blessings in my life and my Higher Power is one of those blessings.

No comments: