Friday, March 17, 2006

Traveling Around Southern California

This afternoon I had the pleasure of meeting a wonderful woman who has agreed to help me with the sentencing phase in my case. We had a great lunch and much like many of the other people who I have met in this past year I am truly blessed to have another magnificent person in my life. Everything does happen for a reason and even though my circumstances were awful; life will continue to get better. Today was no exception as we ate lunch we talked about my compulsive gambling, compulsive gambling in general, the treatment of compulsive gamblers and a whole host of other topics.

One year ago today I sat in the County Jail and had no idea what the future would hold for me but one year later I was having lunch with one of the leaders in the treatment of compulsive gamblers and having a great discussion. I am so very grateful to have this nice lady assist me with my case. I am not so sure if the court will fully understand the addiction of compulsive gambling but I do have some great people on my side.

After lunch I drove 90 miles north to Los Angeles so I could register for the Los Angeles Marathon. Last year I was scheduled to run the LA Marathon but events being what they were I could not run the race. This year I went back and forth about running the race but after having a conversation with a friend of mine I thought it would be a very good idea to run the race not only for me but for the family. This will be my fifth marathon and my family has been to all of them and the children really get a kick out of the whole atmosphere.

For those of you new to marathon running the course is 26.2 miles long and for those of you who are non-runners this may seem like a very long distance. Yes, it is a long distance but running and working out has become an integral part of my recovery. Exercising has really kept my mind focused and kept me from falling into a depressive state. There will be 25,000 other participants in the LA marathon and I will get to see Los Angeles up close and personal as I take about a 3 and half hour tour. The weather looks very good for running and I am very excited to run the race.

I am also very excited about tomorrow morning's Gamblers Anonymous Meeting because we are celebrating four one year birthdays. Yes, I am one of the four who are celebrating and the other three are very close friend's of mine. We thought it would be great if all four of us could celebrate on the same day and it has worked out perfectly. Another dear friend of mine will be chairing the meeting and I am so looking forward to the meeting.

I do know one year really isn't a big milestone because my compulsive gambling is a lifelong addiction. However; I do know one year of really working my recovery and applying the tools the Gamblers Anonymous Program has given is a very big deal and I am so very happy to celebrate this day with three other fantastic people. It will be a very busy weekend but I want to make the most of the time I have and I can't think of better way of spending a weekend with people who have become so very special to me.

No comments: