Thursday, May 24, 2007

Another Day One

I fell asleep within seconds of hitting the pillow. Unfortunately, I didn’t stay asleep very long. The CO’s came through the dorm with their flashlights. Even though this is a camp, it is still a penal institution and with this comes the consequences which is constant monitoring even during the middle of the night.

I was going to go outside to exercise but the recreation area was closed and so was the television area due to the foolish behavior of a few inmates. I knew breakfast was served at 7:15 am and it was mandatory for everyone to at least go to the designated area for the count. I certainly wanted breakfast and I met up with my friend. I will not invoke my special dietary conditions because I do not want to have any undue attention upon me. The best part of breakfast was the fresh fruit that was served. There was a choice between an apple or an orange. These can be taken out of the dining hall and the “Fruit Nazi” is a distant memory. I was so excited by the fruit, I took both. I didn’t know that only one piece of fruit of allowed at a time. The CO at the end of the food service line gave me a very friendly reminder, “Next time take only one piece of fruit.” He did allow me to take both this time.

At 8:00 am, I was required to check in to see if I had an assignment. Since I had none, I went back to my dorm and started writing. About 15 minutes later, a fellow inmate called me out of the dorm and asked if I wanted to help him paint the break room in the recreation area or rake leaves. I opted for the painting. An hour later all the new campers went to receive their fire gear. There is a whole list which consists of 4 quart sized water bottles, goggles, fire helmet, gloves, rain boots, rain gear, and other items. All told, with the fire bottles full, each backpack weighs about 60 pounds. While fighting a fire and training, I am required to carry this backpack at all times.

Afterward, I went back to painting and as usual I made a mess of myself. I had paint all over my entire body. An hour after I returned to painting, we were given an orientation of the “do’s” and “don’ts” of fire camp. Since there aren’t any locks or gates there are many areas designated “out of bounds”. Any other dorm other than my own is out of bounds. This meant I couldn’t visit my friend since we were in separate dorms. However, this was quickly resolved because during the orientation I learned I was assigned to my friend’s fire crew and my dorm was moved to my friend’s dorm. The dorms are assigned by fire crews. My friend is now three doors down from my room and we could both visit each other.

At dinner I sat with my friend and one of the cooks. He started drilling me about my eating habits and I guess he liked my answers because he told me his goal was to “fatten me up.” He also said, “If I like you, I can see what I can do to get you more of the foods you like.” I’m not sure what will come of this conversation, but I do know having enough food here will not be a problem.

Dinner was concluded and I wanted to speak with the CO regarding a family visit for my wife. I became very confused during this conversation. My wife and children have already been approved. It was my understanding that once this happened, it was good here at fire camp. However, according to this CO, I had to start the process all over again! This could take up to 60 days! If the process has to be started all over again, well, that’s what has to happen.