Saturday, May 05, 2007

Running Through the Raindrops

I was hoping the rain would stop so I didn’t have to be inside the dorm all day. I was able to pass the morning with writing. I waited for the CO to provide the work call unlock and had to wait almost 45 minutes. He finally arrived and I went outside where I instantly started running through the raindrops. My goal was to run 10 miles and to get back inside the dorm for the 2:45 pm unlock. My timing could not have been better because as I completed the additional mile, the CO was arriving at my dorm and the alarm was going off. I was able to get inside before having to get down on the wet ground. I am so happy I got outside because my mind needed the run. When I do any type of exercise, it has certainly become therapeutic. To say this has kept me sane over the past few months would be an understatement.

I received two pieces of mail – one from my younger sister and one from my mother. The letter from my sister was wonderful and she informed me she will be sending the book THE SECRET to me when I get to fire camp. I can’t wait to read the book and I am very excited. She also included a photo of her beautiful family.

My mom had sent me blank envelopes in her letter but some of these envelopes were not passed on to me. These were peel and seal, which as of March 5th, are no longer allowed. Obviously my mother didn’t know this nor did I because a memo dated the 5th of March was circulated to everyone EXCEPT the inmates disallowing these types of envelopes. Now they have to be sent back to my mother at my expense. This sort of bothered me because I was not notified that peel and seal envelopes are no longer allowed. I wrote a letter to the mailroom regarding this, but I doubt it will do much good and I will have to pay for the return postage. The cost is not the issue but the lack of communications is certainly the issue. The memo disallowing these was forwarded to me yesterday and it seems all departments again EXCEPT for the inmates were copied on the memo. It really isn’t difficult to circulate the memo to the individuals who needed this the most, but unfortunately that is not how things operate around here.

Since there was little to do at night and all my writing was complete, I listened to the news report about how Paris Hilton is facing 45 days in jail for violating the terms of her probation. Apparently, Miss Hilton blamed her publicist for her troubles behind the wheel (so much for personal responsibility) and wept openly as the Judge handed down the sentence. Since her violation occurred in Los Angeles County, the likelihood of her spending the whole 45 days in jail is very slim. The overcrowding in the Los Angeles County Jail is one of the worst in the state of California. Typically inmates only serve 10% of their total sentence so Miss Hilton is looking at 4 to 5 days. I recognized the need for jail/prison sentences but somewhere Judges have to come out with means of alternate sentencing. Community service would be a good alternative and I realize people like Paris Hilton have a way of getting out of these things, but it has to be mandatory and be enforced. Is Miss Hilton going to learn her lesson with the current sentence? Maybe, but if examples need to be made - at least give back to the community. Okay enough of my soap box!

Also, today is the day of the Kentucky Derby and the Queen of England will be attending for the first time ever. When I was a kid, I loved watching and I remember being very upset when I was told I had to go to church during the race. Even as a kid my priorities were all screwed up! Now thankfully through recovery I have no idea what horses are running nor will I watch it. My life does not revolve around a horse race, but it took me a long time to realize this. Thankfully, I have, and my life is so much better and my priorities are starting to get in order.

I did my pushup routine by myself because the dorm mate I worked out with last week wasn’t interested in joining me today. In fact, I haven’t seen him do any activities since that time. This brings me to a brief discussion about this inmate. I reported earlier this particular person gave me a bad “vibe” when he first moved in and this bad “vibe” is still there. I have done my best to befriend him but there is something which I can’t put my finger on that gives me this feeling. I have lent him some of my books and he is the only person who has ever asked me questions about the book he is reading. Currently, he is reading the 6th installment of Harry Potter and he has asked me so many questions, it is sort of driving me crazy! Also, he seems to stare at me (still) during the day – it is just plain weird. I thought befriending him would make things better, but it hasn’t. Anyhow, I try to maintain my composure when he asks these questions and I have even lent him a soup. However, I will not go out my way to talk with him. I think my best option is to be cordial – but nothing further.